AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been using my sony STR-DE598 for about 6 years now paired with my Klipsch quintet. It was my first proper 5.1 setup. I've been happy with the speakers, but late '09 I upgraded to a 46" Sony KDL-46V5100 and picked up a PS3. I've got most of my video running direct to the TV via HDMI with the exception of my Wii and PS2(component to the LCD, optical out to receiver). All audio is from my hdmi devices are hooked up via optical or coax to my receiver.

I've been loving blu-ray on my PS3, but it bugs me a little that I'm not able to take advantage of TrueHD audio. I don't plan on upgrading my speakers any time soon. I've been looking at Denon's AVR-591/1612 and the AVR-1712, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear any difference. Since I'll still be running a 5.1 setup, will I benefit from the upgrade, aside from the convenience of hdmi? Or is it wiser to hold off until I feel it's time to replace my speakers too? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I assume you're using a PS3 not a PS2, since the PS2 doesn't do Bluray.

In the case of a PS3, it doesn't do multi channel analog, which in the case of your receiver would be the only way to get the lossless formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD-MA), since it has 5.1 multi channel analog inputs. The difference in audio between lossless and lossy is small IMO unless you have the speakers to highlight it. The better the speakers, the bigger the difference. I can definitely tell the difference due to my speakers, so I would spend the bucks on speakers.

The largest benefit you'll get from a receiver sonically is the room correction feature (Audissey in the Denons), and it is well worth the upgrade, along with the simplicity of the HDMI routing of both video and audio. Your biggest bang for the buck, though is speakers, so to me, the best upgrade is speakers followed by a modern AVR with good room correction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't realize that I forgot to mention the PS3. I have the ps2 still out for some throwbacks like ffvii. The PS3 is running and optical cable to the receiver. i've updated the original post

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Well, you have two options...

1. Replace the AVR. Your speakers are all the same size so you can get away with a blanket crossover receiver. The Yamaha 667/867 are the current go to deals.

2. Buy an actual BD player with multi-channel outputs(assuming your TV has one more HDMI spot).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Your best option is to wait for a compelling reason to upgrade. Lossless audio is not a compelling reason, IMO.

Now, if you feel you have a chaotic wiring mess you want to simplify with HDMI, I think that's a good reason to upgrade. Or maybe you want modern room room correction - some people think it does a very good job. Or maybe you want your receiver to play Pandora. But I would not upgrade just for lossless audio.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Your biggest bang for the buck, though is speakers, so to me, the best upgrade is speakers followed by a modern AVR with good room correction.

I agree with this.

I have never been a fan of most small speakers for multichannel audio that employ woofers smaller than five inches, as I find them to sound too "thin" and generally not satisfying because of their inability to reproduce the upper bass very well. And because the xover must be set relatively high to keep them from being fried, the subwoofer ends up reproducing *parts* of instruments and voices, adding to the unrealistic sound of the system not to mention those sounds are now easier to locate, compared to a 80Hz xover. All my system's satellites employ nothing smaller than 6.5 inch woofers btw.

And, I have been having a difficult time finding affordable BD players with analog multichannel outputs. most in the $100 to $200 price span only seem to have HDMI and a pair of left and right outputs.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan /forum/post/20814348

I agree with this.

I have never been a fan of most small speakers for multichannel audio that employ woofers smaller than five inches, as I find them to sound too "thin" and generally not satisfying because of their inability to reproduce the upper bass very well. And because the xover must be set relatively high to keep them from being fried, the subwoofer ends up reproducing *parts* of instruments and voices, adding to the unrealistic sound of the system not to mention those sounds are now easier to locate, compared to a 80Hz xover. All my system's satellites employ nothing smaller than 6.5 inch woofers btw.

And, I have been having a difficult time finding affordable BD players with analog multichannel outputs. most in the $100 to $200 price span only seem to have HDMI and a pair of left and right outputs.

Toshiba offers a few, BDX2500 and 2700 if I'm remembering the model numbers properly. I know nothing about them aside from that they offer those outputs based on the sticky. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050507

According to that, there's also a Sherwood that has 7.1 outputs.

I agree with keeping the Sony - some of MichaelJHuman's example wants can also be satisfied with a modern Blu-ray player with multi-channel output, like Pandora and lossless audio. That said, the $100-$150 for a new player still doesn't seem worth it, unless the streaming features are that important to you (and I'm fairly sure that the PS3 can actually do all of that stuff already, but don't quote me on that).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.