AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about DVI inputs are the new must have in PJ features.

The hopes of HTPC pushing perfect pictures.

I have a 12 foot run from my eq rack to PJ. If short DVI cables only available, then I guess I don't need DVI input feature.

Please post and help me out.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
1. 5 meters (or 15', depending upon who you talk to) is the max length you can go without degrading the signal. If you need longer, you can insert a DVI repeater (about $400-500?) or switch to uber-expensive (and rare) optical DVI.

2. Don't forget about HDCP--this is the encryption/authentication protocol that goes along for the ride. Virtually no projectors currently support DVI/HDCP...those that support only DVI (without HDCP) will lose DVI support from DVI/HDCP HDTV STBs that will debut this fall. In other words, if you want to go DVI and you plan on watching "premium" HD content on Dish or DTV, you need a DVI/HDCP compliant STB *and* a DVI/HDCP compliant projector. On the other hand, if you're simply wanting to watch DVDs on your HTPC using something like a Radeon 7500/8500 outputing DVI to your projector, the HDCP part isn't a worry.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The link spec is 5M but that is for gauranteed operation at the highest bit-rate (1600X1200 at 60Hz).

Since HD is about 1/2 the highest bit rate, you SHOULD be able to get 10M without issue.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Well,

In-line is making a big claim here:

http://www.inlineinc.com/products/coax/pdf/IN9700.pdf

1280*1024 at 60Hz (about the dot rate of 1080i) can go up to 60 feet. The 75ft cable is speced to do 1024*768 (a little less than the dot rate of 720p)

All their other cables including the 35 foot and the 25 foot can do full data rate (i.e. 1600X1200 or 1920X1080p)

Impressive,

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Axel,

I wish they made longer versions. I will defintely keep them in mind though.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a projector with the DVI-HDCP (the SE Cinema 12SF), but I have yet to find a DVI cable that does not degrate the signal beyound 5m (my equipment run is 18'. Ill take a look at some of these links, but I'm not holdin my breathe just yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.