AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if it is worth building the wall depicted in the before and after layout.

Room as-is, without building wall:

Room with building a wall:

Pros building Wall:

- More symmetrcial placement of surround speakers

Cons building Wall:

- Less seating and walking space

- A lot more work (my father will be here two weeks to help build everything, and I'd like to have a design we can finish together)

What do you guys think? Is it worth all the hassle and loss of space? When it comes to 7.1 acoustics, I'm clueless.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i would say not worth it only 3 feet. another option is extend the wall until you can mount the speaker move the av to that space (at 3'5 number location). the space left over would be perfect for snacks table/bar. I would put this table/bar on wheels if you have no access to the av space.

then you can even move the back row to the center location

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason I never thought of that. I think I've been staring at this too long. I'll have to mock that up with blue tape, but I like the sound of it.

I am also considering removing the 2nd row of seats since they'll be cramped and put bar-style seating in so I easily eat while watching, then move down to recliner...

The room directly outside this already has a full wet bar with fridge, sink, etc. It's a game room. But a popcorn machine would be cool there.

Do you think 12' viewing distance would be fine for front row with a 120" diagonal 1.78 ratio screen? It looks fin to me mocked up, but I have no way of knowing til I actually do it...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
That might be a little on the large side. Get everything built and throw up a sheet (or just use tape if the wall is white) and try watching for a while first.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, maybe a tad big, I've been seriously considering a110" diagonal instead for increased brightness for 3D and for viewing comfort....

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Distance for the surrounds can be compensated for with the AVR's distance (time delay) and volume level settings.

I use a 2.125:1 aspect ratio screen (Constant Image Area-ish) - my 16:9 image is about 130" from 12' (148" for 2.35:1), and its the right size for me. But screen size is a personal preference, I'd definitely echo the suggestion to test on a wall or sheet - I made a temporary screen out of bleached white muslin ($20 or so) from Joanne's Fabrics, and tested out various sizes for a couple weeks before settling on my screen size.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,373 Posts
Do not even think about a popcorn machine in a dedicated theater unless you have a strong exhaust fan in the immediate vicinity. One issue that hasn't come up is whether your gear is noisy. All it takes is one noisy cooling fan or loud spinning hard drive to be audible at your seating location. It might even be a piece of gear you buy next year.

One vote for building a wall. I would only use six seats. In your current spacing you will not be able to use reclining seats in the back row. If you want reclining seats eliminate the double entry and position a door in line with one side aisle, push the second row back. You could also move the front row to 11.5 ft instead of 12.5 to free up leg room for the second row. Bottom line is you need a total of 6 1/2 ft from seat back to seat back.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The room is already made as per the top diagram, so moving all the AC ducts in the walls there, etc to move the doors would be too much work.

I hear what you say about equipment noise... I hate loud fans, or anywhere near audible ones... I think I may put up the wall part way to be able to uniformly mount surround speakers, and have a closet to cut down on noisy gear sounds.

But then I'll need some type of wireless remote system... does the harmony 900 system work well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts