AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a discussion with a buddy about this topic. I have an opinion about it. But I'm wondering what people's opinions are on this topic, considering that many rear-projection unit owners spend a lot more time watching HD broadcasts than DVDs.

·
Registered
15,824 Posts
Yes, it's worth it, because by adjusting your settings with it, it helps improve the PQ with your cable box or satellite receiver as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
there has been talk in the 1080p samsung thread that dve would NOT be able to used on HD sets, but for other sets i believe it would help that and dve is only a couple bucks used on amazon

could adjust yoiur sd , but has been talk too that if yo9u use these tests or other (thx optimiaztion test) that it washes out colors and doesn't help

from

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ve#post5982774

Here is an e-mail my brother-in-law sent to the makers of DVE. This should help with the explanation.

David Abrams has responded to your help desk request.

-----------------------------------------------

(David Abrams)

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry regarding "Digital Video Essentials." Unless you have the ability to play back HD-DVDs via the VC-1 (Windows Media Video) codec you purchased the correct disc. In order to properly setup the HD signal that is going into your display you would need to have a source for HD formated test patterns. Currently our Professional Version of the program comes with the Windows Media Video discs described.

This does not mean that you purchased the wrong disc. If you watch standard definition DVDs and standard definition ! sources you can use the disc that you purchased to set that up. It will also get you close for the HD memory of the display.

The important thing to remember is that while the display will show you HDTV formated material, it will also display standard definition material. Each of those use a separate memory based on the input. Ultimately, for optimum results you may want to find a qualified video calibrator to set up the display for you. A full calibration requires special instrumentation and access to the service menu to complete.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Regards,

David Abrams

Joe Kane Productions

Project Coordinator

FLApilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.