AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently purchased Onkyo receiver TX-SR608. I am wanting to purchase a polk audio to match with it. The speaker output power on the TX-SR608 is 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Is it worth buying this polk audio speaker set

polk audio rm 95

the rm 95 has output of 20-125 w per channel. Is it going to be an overkill?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
yes, they will be fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is it worth buying it? Depends on your budget? Size of your room? Have you heard it? If you heard it and like it, I don't see anything wrong with it. What subwoofer will you be running this polk with?

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
If the biggest speakers you can get are satellite speakers then that wouldn't be a bad choice. I know Newegg has a fantastic price on those right now.

But if you can get floorstanding speakers or bookshelf speakers I'd go that route over satellites.

the Onkyo 608 should handle the Polk RM sats or Monitor series speakers with no problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, Great answers and really fast. I love this forum already

I may have asked a very general question but here is the dilemma. I actually want to buy rm 705 model polk because it has 5 speakers and a subwoofer. I am not getting a good deal (yet, may have to wait next week because it is thanksgiving). But since I just saw a good deal on newegg for rm 95 ($249), I thought should I just buy that now and worry about sub woofer later. I know sub woofer is important but this is my first home theater so not sure if i should compromise on sub woofer just because of this good deal on rm 95 or should I just wait for rm 705 to reduce in price.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you sure these speakers can fill your room to meet your satisfaction? I'm going to have to agree with Afrogt, if you can buy bigger size, go with bookshelves. Honest truth is you shouldn't compromise on both speakers and subwoofer. As for Black Friday deals, all we can do is just "hope" that the deal we are looking for is there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My living room in which I am keeping these speakers is about 11 feet (width) * 15 feed (length).It is an apartment and you can imagine is much smaller than a house. There are walls on 3 sides and fourth side leads into dining area. My intentions is to put 2 speakers and center speaker near the tv and remaining 2 speakers on the side of the couch (the couch is about 10 feet from the tv)

Hence, i think these speakers will definitely fit the room. wont it ?

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
The subwoofer that comes with the Polk RM705 is pretty crappy anyway. The RM 6750 is a better speaker system because the sats have larger drivers. They don't look as nice but they're better speakers. And if you get the RM95 5.0 its gonna sound like junk without a subwoofer. Those satellite speakers only go down to about 100hz so you'll have absolutely no bass at all.

If you're gonna buy satellites you have to get a subwoofer too or you'll be very unhappy. Even a cheap budget sub is better than no sub.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The Polk RM95 with the Onkyo TX608 will do amazing in your room since its not that large. I would plan on getting a subwoofer as well with smaller speakers. They need a subwoofer as the rm95 set is dead from 130hz and below

The Polk RM95 set is normally $600 and not is $250 so its worth it. Spend another 150-200 on a subwoofer you have yourself an amazing satelite based surround set up

I have the Polk RM6750 and I bought it over the RM705 as I felt it sounded better in my opinion. And at $230 the RM6750 is a great system to start with.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My TV room is the about the same size as your room and I'm using floorstandings. I just don't know if it'll cut it with satellite speakers. Newegg have been selling the Polk Monitor for good prices. Maybe 2 Monitor 40s(fronts), 2 Monitor 30s (as surrounds), and a CS2(center) would be your best bet once its on sale. Than finish it up with a Bic f12 or Bic H-100 when it goes on sale at amazon. This cost more but definately worth it. The best way to do is buy the Polk Audio RM 95 and audition in your room, if you don't like it, send it back and move up to the next level. If you like it, keep it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crazyrob425:

Thanks for the inputs. It is amazing to know how rm 6750 is better than rm 705 even though rm 6750 is an older model. I dont see many deals for that product cos everyone is buying rm 705. But in amazon I saw 6750 for $243. i think from what you are saying about subwoofer, I might buy that than rm 95 for $249 at new egg.

Also, someone was selling rm 6750 for 1/2 the price in ebay (which is about 1 year old)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
afrogt:

thanks for the inputs on the subwoofer. i think 2 guys here are recommending rm 6750 and that is what i have been thinking for a long time but got distracted by other models.

obviously, there are so many choices when it comes to speakers as I am getting started into Home theaters setups, it just gets complicated if u dont know what u r looking for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With newegg, total cost is $249 (no shipping + with taxes)

With amazon, total is $243 (no shipping + no taxes)

almost about to click the order button

1 - 17 of 17 Posts