AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it worth getting a dvd recorder with digita tuner if you have a digital cable box. I have cable vision so if I get a dvd recorder with a digital tuner can O get all my digital stations (Io Package) with the digital box

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo /forum/post/14170129

is it worth getting a dvd recorder with digita tuner if you have a digital cable box. I have cable vision so if I get a dvd recorder with a digital tuner can O get all my digital stations (Io Package) with the digital box

A digital cable box converts channels into the analog format for viewing/recording in that format.

A DVD recorder with a digital tuner will tune non-scrambled/non-encoded digital signals directly from the cable coax. The DVD recorder will not unscramble encoded signals. For that you need the cable company digital cable box that unscrambles encoded channels. The cable box may also remap these channels to the various "channel" locations determined by your cable company. In other words, a DVD recorder with digital/analog tuners will not replace the cable company box.

A DVD recorder without a tuner may record from the composite outputs and S-Video outputs on the digital cable box. A DVD recorder with a tuner may record from those same outputs and the RF output on the digital cable box. There are other encoding issues that may prevent or restrict a DVD recording of copyrighted material. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you go rf out of the cable box and rf into the dvd recorder with digital tuner, what will be the quality of the audio and video vs an s-video/stereo audio feed from the line outputs of the cable box?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
If the channel tunable by the DVDRs tuner it should be superior if tuned directly on the DVDR vs line input from a STB. Note I don't think it will be drastic if both STB and DVDR are tuned to the same channel but I personally would go the tuner route vs the line input.

A big advantage of the tuner route in you will be able to record from multiple channels unattended.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/14170354

A DVD recorder with a digital tuner will tune non-scrambled/non-encoded digital signals directly from the cable coax. The DVD recorder will not unscramble encoded signals. For that you need the cable company digital cable box that unscrambles encoded channels.

If any of the recorders have QAM tuners, one could also at least record the 'broadcast' digital/HD stations on cable.

Also, as for the encoded channels part, it doesn't necessarily have to be a cable company box. Just anything with cablecards, such as a Series 3 or Tivo HD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts