AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking on E-bay for hard drive based DVD recorders, I have seen several models that are under $100 with included shipping, is it worth getting a used DVD hard drive based recorder? I figure since more and more companies will do away with analog tuner based recorders because of the soon to be digital based tuner requirements, that many companies won't be manufacturing any digital tuner recorders with hard drives at least not in the present time, according to the ongoings over at the CES convention last week, that it's worth getting a new recorder(Pioneer 640-which I will be getting) and a lesser priced hard drive based recorder(used one from E-bay), so is it worth purchasing a used one from E-bay that costs under $100? since I have Directv service and not cable, the newer hard drive recorders with digital tuners will be higher in prices when companies do manufacture them in the future, so I was thinking of getting an inexpensive hard drive based recorder which I found on E-bay as well as buying a brand new one the Pioneer 640, sound idea or bad one?

PS-I was looking for a DV input recorder, otherwise I would buy the SV2000 from Walmart, which doesn't have the DV input

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
how much is $100 worth to you? I feel that any eBay electronics purchase is a gamble at best. I am willing to live with a paperweight for what I purchase. If you find a good one from an individual who can clearly describe functionality and their usage, I'd so go for it. If you need the warm fuzzy of a warranty, you might stay away...but even with a warranty, you are probably looking at $25-$30 to ship it to the vendor for warranty repair.

Currently I have 2 Sony HD DVR's that I bought off of eBay for $150 less than I could have purchased one new in the store. I figured if only one works, I'm still coming out ahead...both have performed flawlessly for the last 3 months.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I bought a Panasonic E100 off eBay about last March, with a Square Trade 2-yr warrantee. Last Oct or Nov I had to have it repaired; it took two or three days to find the address and phone number, but when I did send it in, it was back within a week with hdd replaced and firmware updated. Warrantee reimbursed me. Panasonic has a flat rate of $130 plus tax, and they pay shipping both ways if shipped from a UPS STORE!.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.