AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read reviews about those players where supposedly they upconvert your dvd's to either 720p&1080i. But from what I'm reading are mixed reviews about them. Some it's better some say only by very little and not worth it also some say it makes the image blurry kinda and makes it worse. I've real HD on tv and it looks better than those upconverters forsure. Should I just get a reg player and wait for the real HD-player down the road? thanks

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Nobody can make that decision for you. For me, an inexpensive upscaling DVD player is better than a regular DVD player with my 720p LCD projector. The difference is worthwhile but not great.

Chris

·
Registered
309 Posts
The answer may also depend on what happens to the signal after the dvd player.

Most lcd's & dlp's upconvert to the native resolution anyway (720p, 768p, etc.)

My sony 60" HD lcd tv converts everything to its native 768p. ( Which is a scaler, upconversion, etc) So for me, my thought is why have the dvd upconvert to 720p or 1080i & then have the tv convert again to 768p.

·
Registered
309 Posts
from your link..."This TV upconverts all signals to 1080i HD"

So as Chris stated, only you can make the subjective call. Either the tv or the dvd will do the upconvert. Which one has a better upconvert-dvd or tv? Why not buy one from a store that has a good return policy & see if you can notice any difference- even if slight. Then if slight, decide if worth the $.

My on personal thought -if it is only a slight difference or only "in theory" that staying digital for the 2 feet cable run to tv is "better" then take a pass & just get a decent progrressive scan dvd. Remember the tv is only 30", not 60" or the 110" projectors that may show the slight difference.

Again, the real difference will be the HDDVD not the upconvert. The only way I see a big difference is when I connect my DVHS vcr or HDV camcorder- both being HD not upconvert.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you want a "hard" answer, I'll give you one.

Your fixed pixel set already converts. The "holy grail" around here is the less messing with the signal the better, why add a process?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davv
I've read reviews about those players where supposedly they upconvert your dvd's to either 720p&1080i. But from what I'm reading are mixed reviews about them. Some it's better some say only by very little and not worth it also some say it makes the image blurry kinda and makes it worse. I've real HD on tv and it looks better than those upconverters forsure. Should I just get a reg player and wait for the real HD-player down the road? thanks
I think you'll have a long wait for the HD DVD market to shake out. And if you only have component imputs to your HD display (like me) you won't be supported anyway.

The upconverting DVD players do not deliver an HD-quality image. They still have a data source designed for display at 480p. It probably looks marginally better than the same DVD in a progressive scan player, but still not HD level of detail.

Is it worth it? If you're already in the market and the additional cost is small, why not? But I wouldn't throw out a working 480p DVD player for one of these.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your display device has an A/D converter at the component input (DLP, LCD) it can make a difference because it outputs the signal in digital form, thereby skipping the extra conversion. As far as upconverting, well... You can't "create" what's not there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.