AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 805, 2 Klipsch RF52's and an RC-52. My 4 surround speakers are from an Onkyo HTIB and I will upgrade them eventually. My sub is a Bic100. I have been looking at the Emotiva amps and if I do get one should I go with the 7 channel UPA-7? Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The onkyo 805 is a very good receiver. Even though I am a big fan of the emo amps, you may be better served upgrading your speakers or sub instead of spending on the amp at this time.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
In my opinion, there's not a lot of point in getting an amp if you have enough power.

Of course, some don't agree with me. They think any external amp will make a night and day difference. You be the judge.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree with Michael. With speakers as efficient as those Klipsch, and the 805's very powerful amplifier section, I doubt you'll be using even 1/3 of the Onkyo's power to reach reference levels. I doubt that a separate amplifier would make a speck of difference in that system, unless you believe in the 'sound' of amplifiers driven below clipping. My speakers are 3dB less efficient than your Klipsch, taking twice as much power for the same apparent loudness, and the 805's amplifiers are still significant overkill. I think you'd be much better served by upgrading your surround speakers - Klipsch seems to have lots of options, and possibly your subwoofer. If your subwoofer has enough output for you, then instead I'd focus on room treatments. Putting the Onkyo's full output into any of your Klipsch speakers will result in 117dB, which is way above what your subwoofer will be able to generate. And that's rated output - the Onkyo will do more before clipping.

As I final note, I just saw that you were looking at the UPA-7. If you did get a separate amplifier, that one is not an upgrade at all from the 805! It's actually rated lower than the 805's built-in amplifiers. If you're going to go to a separate amplifier, my opinion is that it should have at least 2-3dB more headroom than what you're upgrading from - that's twice the power. Otherwise, you may not even notice the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts