AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Is it worth it to get a 1080p display?

1281 Views 19 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Zygmunt
Sorry if this topic has been covered before.

I have a 1365/768 plasma, and the HD-A1 is clearly giving me the best picture that I have ever seen on my display. How much better will it look on a 1080p display? Will there be that much of an extra "WOW" factor to consider upgrading?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
My $0.02 is if you're happy with the picture quality you now see then save your money and stay with it. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D
My $0.02 is if you're happy with the picture quality you now see then save your money and stay with it. :)
I'm very happy with the picture quality, and I'm probably not going to get a new display for a couple of years at least.

Just curious if these new displays will take it up to another level.
I'm in your situation, and I decided to upgrade. Twice the resolution is nothing to sneeze at. Go look at a 60" SXRD with the A1 and a good HD-DVD movie if you need convincing. The downside is that you won't get much for your "old" plasma if you try to sell it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy
I'm in your situation, and I decided to upgrade. Twice the resolution is nothing to sneeze at. Go look at a 60" SXRD with the A1 and a good HD-DVD movie if you need convincing. The downside is that you won't get much for your "old" plasma if you try to sell it.
I'm waiting until next year and I will be the first to jump on any 50 inch or larger SED HDTV that makes it to market. :)
Quote:
Bull!!

Please read http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
Bull!!

Please read http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

So it's bull that he can sit 8 feet away instead of 12?
Pretty obvious those that lack the resources or do not own a 1080P or failed to see the side by side in person or at CES/CEDIA to witness the real difference would say No out of the lack of knowing firsthand - one cannot judge what one has not seen. Some folks will certainly wait for Walmart or Costco to have them perhaps a year later and the truly cheap folks on this forum certainly don't truly believe an SED will be in their budget range during the first 18 months? No Way ! That TV if truly lives up to it's potential will command serious bucks - and not Costco bucks as they'll have no competition with that panel tech = supply/demand leading to prices obove the folks that are just not willing to pay for the privelege of 1080P.

Anyone owning a 1080P panel even if it only does 1080P native most the time feeding it HD will testify a resounding YES - just visit the Qualia 006 thread for testimony and Zero regrets from folks that paid $13K. Even with SXRD having it's issues a resounding majority are happy and you'll see a host of new owners as 1080P full will be debuting in larger numbers the next 6 months. I saw a new Samsung 56" 1080P today the "S" series in piano black and it was a beauty - easily the best DLP in the store and just a hair shy of matching the SXRD and for alot less money.

Anyone saying there isn't a difference on a larger panel needs to go back to math class. ;)
See less See more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
Bull!!

Please read (S&V article URL)
Bull not!!

I read the S&V article months ago. It's one of the reasons I am upgrading from a 50" to a 60" screen size and moving my seating a bit closer. I saw Serenity on the A1 with the Sony 60" SXRD at about 8 feet, and the PQ blew me away. It was then and there that I made my decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969
Pretty obvious those that lack the resources or do not own a 1080P or failed to see the side by side in person or at CES/CEDIA to witness the real difference would say No
I think there is more to it than that. On smaller screens like 50" it makes little if any difference. I looked at a new Toshiba 50HM66 720P side by side with a Samsung HLR5078 1080P both with same PBS HD input and there was little difference. In fact I think the Toshiba 720P looked slighty better. I was considering this Samsung 5078 however all the reported probelms with it's LE have scarred me off. So yea I could spend twice as much as te 50HM66 but I'm not going to see that money up on the screen. But if I was looking at a 61 or 72 then I would give it more weight.
Quote:
Bull not!!

I read the S&V article months ago. It's one of the reasons I am upgrading from a 50" to a 60" screen size and moving my seating a bit closer. I saw Serenity on the A1 with the Sony 60" SXRD at about 8 feet, and the PQ blew me away. It was then and there that I made my decision.
How close will you be sitting to your SXRD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobancle
I think there is more to it than that. On smaller screens like 50" it makes little if any difference. I looked at a new Toshiba 50HM66 720P side by side with a Samsung HLR5078 1080P both with same PBS HD input and there was little difference. In fact I think the Toshiba 720P looked slighty better. I was considering this Samsung 5078 however all the reported probelms with it's LE have scarred me off. So yea I could spend twice as much as te 50HM66 but I'm not going to see that money up on the screen. But if I was looking at a 61 or 72 then I would give it more weight.
You also have to look at things besides just the resolution. For example, the HLS 1080p sets from Samsung offer better contrast ratios and 10 bit color processing.
I am also deciding which way to go. Viewing distance 10 feet, TV 50 inch. Models considering, Sammy 5086,5087,5088, or Sony 50A10. What do you think
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkarp
You also have to look at things besides just the resolution. For example, the HLS 1080p sets from Samsung offer better contrast ratios and 10 bit color processing.
The Toshiba 50Hm66 does as well they both using the new HD5 family of DMD's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo
So it's bull that he can sit 8 feet away instead of 12?
The article is nonsense

Viewing from too far is a major problem, and many are outdistancing the detail

One can for example can sit 6.5 ft (eyes to screen center) (usually from a slight 10 to 15 degree side angle) from an 8 ft diag screen powered by an AE700/900us projector (no SDE effect) - particuarly with any higher quality HD material such as is broadcast on COMCAST or something similar -and absolutely w/o a doubt with the new HD-DVD standard - and even many DVDs are not a problem

In a worst case its 8 ft distance which works out to around 1.2 times screen width, and definitely way lower than the THX recommmended 1.5 screen width distance

Other TV's (except for certain LCDs with any SDE issues) should be able to achieve the same results

In fact I have a number of Hi Defs and my ealier model which I still have is a Samsung 27" crt - and its works very well from a distance of about 3 ft on HD - absolutely superb/no eyestrain peformance

The article fails to appreciate the eyes focus mostly near the center of the screen with periphreal vision taking over the rest of viewing experience
See less See more
Getting more WOW? If it's a 50" 1366X768 plasma, and you can sit at the recommended viewing distance of 6-9 feet for 1080i and 720p HD ( chart ) for an immersive image without noticing plasma screen elements, then you're likely seeing most of the effective resolution (resolvable detail) present in most HD programming.

One alternative might be enhancing the quality of the deinterlaced video appearing on the plasma screen. If 540p bob-only deinterlacing is currently being used for converting 1080i to 1366X768p, or similar poorer-quality deinterlacing, buying one of the new HQV video processors (see video procesor forum) might add considerable WOW because it may boost vertical resolution and minimize resolution "pumping" (excessive blurring with motion) that often takes place with deinterlacing circuits. Greg Rogers outlines HQV image enhancements included with an external processor for a new $30k DLP FP; search all his longer query replies in this thread, or download the full upcoming WSR review if you subscribe to the magazine.

So switching to 1080p, even though effective resolution wouldn't be improved that much for most programming, might add WOW if a higher-rez screen lets you sit closer for a more immersive impact. A rare exception might be sources such as 1080 DVDs based on master tapes with unusually high resolution. Sources for most 1080 DVDs, as outlined here , should be well within the resolution capabilities of a 1366X768 display. But fully exploited 1080 DVDs, based on 4k oversampling (telecines or digital-cinema cameras) and downconversion to 1920X1080i/p, might push some movie images much closer to full 1920X1080 effective resolution as well as format resolution. Only 1080p displays could present this detail. -- John
See less See more
From the chart from S&V, this would suggest that at a viewing distance of 13.5 feet, I could plan for the 70 XBR2 and not be too close (mainly watching upscaled DVD, digital cable HDTV, and potential blu-ray). Do those in the know agree with this?
there was an article a few months back i don't remember if it was S&V or home theater review but they tested a few models on there deinterlacing of 1080i material and some models cut the 1080i in half (540) and then upconverted to the native res. now some of the 1080P displays they tested did this, so would you lose the benefit of having a 1080p display if thats how those models did the deinterlacing and if so would the picture be worse than a 720p display that did the conversion correct due to the 1080p display having to up convert from 540 to 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87
Sorry if this topic has been covered before.

I have a 1365/768 plasma, and the HD-A1 is clearly giving me the best picture that I have ever seen on my display. How much better will it look on a 1080p display? Will there be that much of an extra "WOW" factor to consider upgrading?
It’s definitively better. I love my 720p F.P. but since I bought Brillian 6580iFB for my demo room I spent much more time with Brillian than with my F.P.

It is just meter of money. If you can afford switching to next level – do it.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.