AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is a dedicated HT room that is 14' x 13'. I have a Panasonic AX-200U with a 118" Carada Fixed Screen.

My sound system is as follows:

Denon 2309CI Receiver

Polk CSi3 Center Speaker

Polk Monitor 50's for the fronts

Polk R50's for the rears

BIC H-100 Subwoofer

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade my speakers in such a small room? The more expensive floorstanding speaker units seem to have more speakers in them, but I'm wondering if when I upgrade, if I'm going to be getting just more sound output (which I probably don't need in a small room) or if I will see a great improvement in sound quality as well?

Also, how much would I need to spend to see a great improvement in sound quality improvement compared to the Polk Monitor 50's?

I was thinking of upgrading my front speakers to ones in the $1000/pair range, getting a center in the $500 range, and also getting a new sub in the $600 range that can hit a lower range than my H-100 (like the VTF-2 MK 3).

Would all of this be worth it in a 14' x 13' room?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I'd agree that your room size shouldn't limit the fidelity of the speakers you consider... that said, room size should play into the speakers you chose. Many floorstanding speakers, and even a lot of bookshelf/stand-mount speakers require space from back/side walls to perform well. You'll want to look for speakers that are relatively easy to place. It looks like you're budgeting around $2k for mains, center, and sub... you may want to consider re-allocating $1500 for center/mains/sub along with $200 - $300 for wall-mount surrounds and $200 - $300 for some DIY room treatments.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvieee /forum/post/16931622

Better sound is better sound, even in a smaller room. I would upgrade the sub.

Right, I was thinking that the sub should be a no-brainer since the H-100 doesn't go below ~28 Hz and it seems like there's a whole dimension of sound that I'm missing. The sub is plenty loud though - if I turn it up, it can overpower the sound coming from all of my other speakers. I usually only keep it at about half-volume most of the time. But if there are frequencies of sound that I'm missing, then I'm definitely interested in that...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16931652

I'd agree that your room size shouldn't limit the fidelity of the speakers you consider... that said, room size should play into the speakers you chose. Many floorstanding speakers, and even a lot of bookshelf/stand-mount speakers require space from back/side walls to perform well. You'll want to look for speakers that are relatively easy to place. It looks like you're budgeting around $2k for mains, center, and sub... you may want to consider re-allocating $1500 for center/mains/sub along with $200 - $300 for wall-mount surrounds and $200 - $300 for some DIY room treatments.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize that floorstanding speakers required room away from the wall - right now the subwoofer is the only one that's about a foot away from the wall, the rest are just 3-4 inches.

I also just received some Polk FXi A6 to replace the Polk R50's as wall-mounted surrounds, but haven't put them up yet. That's what got me thinking of upgrading the rest of my system. Although if I upgrade, I'll probably go with a higher-end brand than Polk, so I may have to try to find use for those in some other room (so that all my speakers will match)...

·
Registered
5,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswoods1 /forum/post/16931762

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize that floorstanding speakers required room away from the wall - right now the subwoofer is the only one that's about a foot away from the wall, the rest are just 3-4 inches.

I also just received some Polk FXi A6 to replace the Polk R50's as wall-mounted surrounds, but haven't put them up yet. That's what got me thinking of upgrading the rest of my system. Although if I upgrade, I'll probably go with a higher-end brand than Polk, so I may have to try to find use for those in some other room (so that all my speakers will match)...

More bookshelf designs seem to take boundary step compensation into account compared their floor-standing brethren. I would try to read up on how easy placement tends to be for a specific model, and also consider where any ports are located (rear ports usually need more space from the wall behind them). Beyond design issues, you can usually get a higher end and better sounding set of bookshelfs for the same money as a lower end poorer sounding set of floor-standing speakers.

As for the FXi surrounds, I'd say they'd do just fine even with higher end mains. Unless you go with something COMPLETELY different up front (like Klipsch) you shouldn't notice much difference going front-to-back. Matching the front three is FAR more important. I'd say the R50s would do well in a secondary 2ch system somewhere else in the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.