AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im moving from a HTiaB to two Monitor70s and a CS2 (and the HTiaB surrounds until i can afford new ones), and want to eventually get a new sub. I really dont have a ton of money to spend.

I can either get a Polk PSW505/BIC F12 right now, or wait and buy something a little more substantial like the HSU STF-2.

What exactly do better subs bring to the table that their cheaper brethren do not? Better low end?

Any opinions or advice on what to do? Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Primarily, the difference is going to be the frequency response. With the HSU, you will get true useable extension to 25hz. The cheaper subs will not give you that unless there is some amazing amount of room gain to help lift their weak bottom end. What the HSU probably won't get you is greater output. What we're talking about is better and deeper bass, but not necessarily more bass.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I had 2 BIC F12s and I sold them to buy the STF 2. To me, it depended on usage. I had some Jamo S406 towers which sounded good but were entry level. For home theater, it was fine. I upgraded to the Jamo E770s and when I listened to music, the BIC was obviously not as clean and tight as my new towers were. It muddied up the mix so to speak. Without getting into all of the technical aspects, in my room the Hsu sounded better and had just as much output as the 2 F12s. Like I said, that is just a generalization without getting into all the technicalities and in MY room. Two 12s in actuality I'm sure have more output than the single ten, but I have never measured anything in my setup. This is based purely on listening impressions. When I plugged it in and turned it on, it was immediately different than the F12. I listen to a lot of bluray concerts as well as 2 channel music along with movies so I wanted more than just a "rumble box". With the Hsu I could hear bass lines distinctly that kind of all ran together with the BIC. I really wanted something like the VTF-3 or a HLS15, but there was no way the wife would go for that. For now I am quite satisfied with the Hsu. If you have towers up front, the BIC or the Polk may be fine, but if you have smaller speakers and the sub has to handle more of the freq range, the weaknesses will be more noticeable. My 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your advice. I had no idea subwoofers were so expensive. It helps when you guys explain what the differences actually are to a n00b like me.

Apparently if I want a good subwoofer, i should be prepared to spend $500 or more. If thats the case, i need to figure out which one i want to buy, and save up a ton of money. Guess i'll be hanging around this forum a lot! :p Thanks!

·
Registered
440 Posts
HSU STF-2 is just under $400 to your door, not $500

I always had cheap subs before I bought my Outlaw Compact, and I can tell you that was the best decision I ever made. It was a night and day difference. The STF-2 and the Outlaw Compact are very similar.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 /forum/post/20907441

HSU STF-2 is just under $400 to your door, not $500

I always had cheap subs before I bought my Outlaw Compact, and I can tell you that was the best decision I ever made. It was a night and day difference. The STF-2 and the Outlaw Compact are very similar.

The Allison AL10 at Parts Express is very similar to the STF-2 as well, for less than half the price. 3/4" walls, high excursion driver, and a large box. Worth a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.