AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
yea it's probably worth it.

Even if the picture quality is exactly the same the nec 6 has em focus so it will stay sharp till the day it dies.

But then again if your gonna dish out big $$ for it. It might not really be worth it. Because it will probably have the nearly same picture quality.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Having owned both, I'd say, if you value a focused picture AT ALL, the NEC is wayyyyyyy, wayyyyyy better than the Sony. They have similar light output, the NEC is a bit brighter but not so much that you can easily say that, but the NEC is way, way way sharper because of electromagnetic focus, as well as electronic astig control and good quality lenses...

But, NEC's aren't easy to set up, they set up similarly to the Sony, so it won't be completely foreign, but getting the most out of them is a challenge, compared to the other, more user friendly designs, specifically Marquee, and to a lesser extent, Barco.

They put the plus into the "intermediate" category based purely on the bandwidth specifications provided by the manufacturer, don't bother worrying about that, the IMAGE from a well set up PG Plus looks great, very sharp, nice colors, plenty bright...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The NEC is a lot more capable setup wise...but a ***** to learn!

If I were in yoru place, which I am not!

I would be keeping an eye for a M series Electrohome, to replace both of those PJs with.

..but that is just me!

Good luck

Martin

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
If you want your temperature at 6500K, this a pretty good choice for a pj and will require very little tweaking of color to start with if the tubes are in good shape. It uses 7.5 IRE and you may also need a RGBHV conversion with HDCP compatibility, then a source with component, DVI, HDMI-DVI, or VGA output. I was never able to get component with G/Y to sync correctly at resolutions other than 480P and had to always use RGBHV. It's a good choice IMO.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks folks for the responses. Sorry, I wasn't able to reply immediately. I'll check what the output looks like.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan /forum/post/18193366

The NEC is a lot more capable setup wise...but a ***** to learn!

If I were in yoru place, which I am not!

I would be keeping an eye for a M series Electrohome, to replace both of those PJs with.

..but that is just me!

Good luck

Martin

Is there an Electrohome in the 500s?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I bought my first Marquee 8500 for 450...and it still runs!

So if you keep an eye for it locally you might get lucky.

Martin

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan /forum/post/18196428

I bought my first Marquee 8500 for 450...and it still runs!

So if you keep an eye for it locally you might get lucky.

Martin

I've been watching craigslist for several months now. Most of the pjs I see are Sony brands.

I'll keep watching.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I found all of my CRT's on CL also

Although it was in riverside so it was a couple of hour drive.

My first barco I got locally too...400bucks and sold it for 350 two years later!

They are available if you are patient and watching, one word of advice...most of they time they just list it under old/vintage 3 bulb projector! (a la scarface movie!)

There is a 750 dollar one that I know of here in LA and it is in great shape with a first gen Moome card...if you are interested since you are gonna have to get a Moome card anyhow send me a PM and I will put you in touch with the seller

Anyhow good luck

Martin

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes its worth it!! personal experience.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The NEC has better lenses!

But what I would do in your case is to get a M8500 and then take apart the HD8 lenses and make the HD144/5s (which most of them are color corrected!) fit on them!

Some guy here has a posting on how to do it with plastic cement and a few HD8s (Not the best way but if you don't wish to spend 200 bucks on custom adapters then it is the way to save some money!)

Martin

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan /forum/post/18223177

The NEC has better lenses!

But what I would do in your case is to get a M8500 and then take apart the HD8 lenses and make the HD144/5s (which most of them are color corrected!) fit on them!

Some guy here has a posting on how to do it with plastic cement and a few HD8s (Not the best way but if you don't wish to spend 200 bucks on custom adapters then it is the way to save some money!)

Martin

I wish I can find an M8500 in the 500s here. I actually have a non-working Sony VPH-1271 which I can sell for $50. I haven't posted it yet on CL. I can use the profit to add to my budget.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Oh you want a Marquee 8500!

I was confused when you Pm'ed, but now I know

There do show up from time to time here in LA, but you have to be patient and have an eye open for them!

Good luck on your hunt Neil

Martin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts