AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...New here and very much interested in buying my first CRT. Been reading the posts here and there is some fantastic information and I thank y'all for that. It's difficult to decide with all the CRTs out there but my question is this :

Is Electrohome 8500 or the 9500 LC or not worth it when they need soo many mods?? Isn't it better and more cost effective to go with something else? Plz advice guys.

G70 vs 8500 ( 9500 is way outta my budget ) vs NEC XG135.....

KC

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_zz99
G70 vs 8500 vs NEC XG135
You won't regret any of them. Choose the one in the best condition from a seller with acceptable risk (e.g. you can pay less if you gamble, but a trusted seller is even more important for your first projector). Also consider the BG808/1208.

The Marquee doesn't need mods. It just accepts them easily and rewardingly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Start with an ECP or sony 12XX for $200 bucks and learn on that. You'll be impressed and enjoy the process. If you start with the G70 or M8500 , you'll miss the whole upgrade process. You'll get much more out of the 8" projectors after learning on the lesser machines.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys...New here and very much interested in buying my first CRT. Been reading the posts here and there is some fantastic information and I thank y'all for that. It's difficult to decide with all the CRTs out there but my question is this :

Is Electrohome 8500 or the 9500 LC or not worth it when they need soo many mods?? Isn't it better and more cost effective to go with something else? Plz advice guys.

G70 vs 8500 ( 9500 is way outta my budget ) vs NEC XG135.....

KC

They don't "need" all those mods. Most Marquees you buy will probably already have the "anamorphic mod" and the only other mod that is probably necessary is the LVPS mod, to make sure that the filament voltage diesn't rise and damage the tubes.

While the G70 is a great projector, you're probably better off with a Marquee in terms of ease of setup for a first time CRTer. A Barco 808/1208 is also an easy to setup first projector.

Whatever you buy, just make sure that the tubes are good or you're wasting your money, since the tubes in an 8" projector are worth as much as the projector if they're in perfect condition. That's why there is such a wide range in the price of a given model. That's why you could buy a Marquee with worn out tubes for $1000 or one with new tubes for $3500.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ditto what Dave-Roth said. I started with an ECP learned what to mess with, what not to mess with and what really made a nice projector in the area I was using it. Since then I've upgraded to a BG 800 and will soon have an 808.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW
Ditto what Dave-Roth said. I started with an ECP learned what to mess with, what not to mess with and what really made a nice projector in the area I was using it. Since then I've upgraded to a BG 800 and will soon have an 808.
I would have to disagree with this, I mean your paying to ship a machine that weighs a hundred pounds, then mounting it on your ceiling, then pulling it down to up-grade a year later? :confused: Buy the best machine that your budget will allow, if you can only afford an ECP or Sony 12XX then that's fine, but if you can get an 8" EM focus machine right away then save yourself the hassle of upgrading.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yep, draganm was typing at the same time...

Both approaches have been argued before. It depends on if you want to invest in the obsession of constantly acquiring and upgrading from low cost starter units (7" ES) or if you want to jump in at a recommended sweet spot... 8" EM (XG, Marquee, BG808, G70).

If you come across a good local 7" ES unit for $200, then that approach makes sense. But I would hesitate to suggest that most people will be able to pursue those opportunities. It's more likely that by searching for a low-end ES projector, newcomers are more likely to come across 7" ES units for $400-750. By time you spend $150-$250 for shipping, they're up to $500-900. That's $900 that could've been applied to a better performing machine from day 1, without having to restart the search, acquisition, purchase risk, and setup steps in order to upgrade.

If you enjoy (or obsess with) acquiring multiple projectors, then start as cheap as you can. If you just want a nice projector for your HT, jump in at the 8" EM level.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I believe DR called me the other day. Guys, his post (and what he told me) is that he's under the impression that the MArquee line is not a good set as it needs a messload of mods before it works 'right'.

I told him that the only 'mandatory' mod was the power supply one that Techman described. I also told him that since the Marquees were very common, a number of people here and elsewhere have modded the heck out of the set to squeeze a bit more performance out of the unit. I did state however that a stock Marquee is every bit as good as a Barco or other equvalent 8" set.

Comments to reassure him?

:)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
I believe DR called me the other day. Guys, his post (and what he told me) is that he's under the impression that the MArquee line is not a good set as it needs a messload of mods before it works 'right'.

I told him that the only 'mandatory' mod was the power supply one that Techman described. I also told him that since the Marquees were very common, a number of people here and elsewhere have modded the heck out of the set to squeeze a bit more performance out of the unit. I did state however that a stock Marquee is every bit as good as a Barco or other equvalent 8" set.

:)
Abso-frickin-lutely :) The Marquee's don't need anything except the P14 circuit mod, everything else is just icing on the cake. Being able to add a set of MP cards to yuor Marquee down the road for $1000. is NOT a drawback, it's a very nice option to have. Personally, I couldn't live without a set in my PJ but I'm getting awfully picky after 3 years. Correct me if i'm wrong, but Barco's have their issues too, it's just a matter of knowing hwat they are and buying from someone who has adressed all the issue's for any paricular set before you buy.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme

Agree 100%!

Marquee's are so plentiful (and just about the only CRT still being built, other then some high end Barco's), so they're all over the place. Easy to work on (electronically) so many people have started mod'ing them to take the performance from fantastic to un-frikin'-believeable.

It's no that the mods can't be done to other PJ's, it's just that there are so many Marquee's around and the units are essentially the same across the line, that mod'ing Marquees makes the most sense if you had to pick 1 chassis.

Kal

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
dr_zz99

There's a lot of questions you have to ask yourself before you decide on a PJ. I'll list the ones that come to mind and why the are important.

1 - What's size of my HT? Especially the ceiling height. The G70 is a big machine - longer, wider and heavier than the others. Probably not too tall. The Marquees are tall machines 17" vs 13" for the XG. If you've got a low ceiling, how will you work around this? The XG is the shortest. The Barcos are short but long.

2 - How techincally proficent are you? How willing are you to read, ask questions and learn? The Barcos are the easiest to set up. Marquees aren't bad. The G70 I don't know. The XGs are the most complex.

3 - What's your tolerance for risk? The XGs have potentimeters that if they're messed with, you need a scope, the service manual and techincal skills to straighten out. This also goes with where and who you buy from. Major resellers - lowest risk, highest cost. Ebay - greater risk, lower cost. Govn't auctions - greater risk (unless you can see 'em), lower cost. Individuals - low to high risk, lower cost.

4 - How picky are you? I know the XGs have color corrected lens for better colors. I don't think the others do. The majority of lens are color filtered. Don't get tripped between the two.

5 - Do you have a signicant other that will be upset when you want to switch out PJs in 6 months? "You just bought one 6 months ago. Why do we need a new one? This one looks fine to me." ;) If so, figure out what you want and buy it the first time. They're kind of hard to sneek into the house.

6 - Reliability and parts availability? All of these should be fine. There's LOTS of Marquees out there. Though some parts are hard to fine. The G70 probably has the least available parts. The XG and Barcos are in the middle. Ampros have reliability problems.

9 - Do you want LC lens to reduce halos and improve constrast? They're going to cost more.

10 - You will eventually want a PJ with EM (electromagnetic) focus. Sharper focus and better long term focus. ES (electrostatic) focuse lose their ability to focus as they age.

Here's some dimensions I've gathered:

Barco 701, 708, Cine 7 12" H x 28.5" L x 21.7" W and 84 lbs.

Barco 1208 13.9" H (10.4" in rear?) x 45" L x 30.8" W and 165 lbs.

Barco 808 14.25" H (11.25" in the rear) x 42.4" L x 23.23" W and 148 lbs

XG dimensions 14" H (10.8" in the rear) x 32 1/2" L x 24 1/2" W 140 - 150 lbs

12XX dimensions 14" H x 32" L X 24 1/2" W

G70 dimension 14 1/8" H x 37 3/4" L x 27 1/4" W

Marquee 17" H x ? L x ? W

If you get a good machine - reliable, good tubes, you'll be happy with any of these. If you do some detailed research and soul searching, you'll wind up with the best match and be happier.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW
dr_zz99

There's a lot of questions you have to ask yourself before you decide on a PJ. I'll list the ones that come to mind and why the are important.

1 - What's size of my HT? Especially the ceiling height. The G70 is a big machine - longer, wider and heavier than the others. Probably not too tall. The Marquees are tall machines 17" vs 13" for the XG. If you've got a low ceiling, how will you work around this? The XG is the shortest. The Barcos are short but long.

2 - How techincally proficent are you? How willing are you to read, ask questions and learn? The Barcos are the easiest to set up. Marquees aren't bad. The G70 I don't know. The XGs are the most complex.

3 - What's your tolerance for risk? The XGs have potentimeters that if they're messed with, you need a scope, the service manual and techincal skills to straighten out. This also goes with where and who you buy from. Major resellers - lowest risk, highest cost. Ebay - greater risk, lower cost. Govn't auctions - greater risk (unless you can see 'em), lower cost. Individuals - low to high risk, lower cost.

4 - How picky are you? I know the XGs have color corrected lens for better colors. I don't think the others do. The majority of lens are color filtered. Don't get tripped between the two.

5 - Do you have a signicant other that will be upset when you want to switch out PJs in 6 months? "You just bought one 6 months ago. Why do we need a new one? This one looks fine to me." ;) If so, figure out what you want and buy it the first time. They're kind of hard to sneek into the house.

6 - Reliability and parts availability? All of these should be fine. There's LOTS of Marquees out there. Though some parts are hard to fine. The G70 probably has the least available parts. The XG and Barcos are in the middle. Ampros have reliability problems.

9 - Do you want LC lens to reduce halos and improve constrast? They're going to cost more.

10 - You will eventually want a PJ with EM (electromagnetic) focus. Sharper focus and better long term focus. ES (electrostatic) focuse lose their ability to focus as they age.

Here's some dimensions I've gathered:

Barco 701, 708, Cine 7 12" H x 28.5" L x 21.7" W and 84 lbs.

Barco 1208 13.9" H (10.4" in rear?) x 45" L x 30.8" W and 165 lbs.

Barco 808 14.25" H (11.25" in the rear) x 42.4" L x 23.23" W and 148 lbs

XG dimensions 14" H (10.8" in the rear) x 32 1/2" L x 24 1/2" W 140 - 150 lbs

12XX dimensions 14" H x 32" L X 24 1/2" W

G70 dimension 14 1/8" H x 37 3/4" L x 27 1/4" W

Marquee 17" H x ? L x ? W

If you get a good machine - reliable, good tubes, you'll be happy with any of these. If you do some detailed research and soul searching, you'll wind up with the best match and be happier.
Number 5 is the big one that you have to consider and one that I might be working on soon!

I never said the Marquee's needed the mods, it just seems as though others like to modify them until they are blue in the face.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your advice. Special thanks to Curt for spending time to answer my questions and guiding me to post this question about mods in here.

1) The reason I started looking at the 8" EM PJs is quite simple really - that's the max I can afford ( unless some kind gentleman has a 9" to sell to this poor student :} ) and also 'coz of the SO thing as PAW mentioned under point 5. She'd kick my ass out if I EVER change this unit out, hence this thread and all those long phone calls ( thanks again Curt ). I agree with Draganm and Clarence as far as the shipping costs and buying the best PJ within my limited budget.

2) Curt I never said it was my impression that the Marquee was a "not so good" PJ but rather that I was scared that there were so many mods being mentioned in here. Heck I haven't seen a 8500 or for that matter any PJ perform before and am now actively looking to find some demo in the Dallas area in Texas.

3) Now. the size of my media room is 21'L by 20'W by 10' high. A well light controlled room with the only light coming from the door.

4) As far as the technically proficient thing goes, I believe I can do a decent job but quite frankly 'am looking for y'all to help me find one of our members from the Dallas area or one of you guys to come and set it up professionally. This again goes back to the SO thing guys. I am putting my ass on the line by going with the CRT and if it doesn't look as good as I have been building it up and selling it to my wife, and also since I am spending a significant amount of the family budget on this PJ, my ass would be grass...lol.

5) No room for risk. So I will be buying the PJ from a well known member here.

6) Picky I am. Hey but who isn't. I want the absolute best pic I can get for my budget. Hell I did buy a 9500LC if only they came in my price range and get MPs mods too.

I thank y'all for the kind and helpful advice. Please keep 'em coming. Plz add some comments on what would be the best ( and affordable ) screen to get with my PJ. Need to purchase soon as the builder has already ordered the sheetrock.

I am surprised that Terry hasn't responded yet as the XGs and the G70s are his thing.

Also, I have contacted a few of the members here about some of the PJs they have for sale. I wasn't trying to bother you guys and I apologize for not going ahead with anything but as you can see I am conflicted. Hope you understand.

KC

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW
dr_zz99

Most CRTs have a throw distance (about 1.4 screen widths) that puts them right over the defacto standard AVS forum seating location (about 1.5 screen widths). Sitting at that distance the projector will be directly overhead so you will not have clearance problems - think about sitting on the lower matress in a bunk bed. Even a long projector (Sony 1292 @ 40") isn't going to extend much beyond your couch so that won't be problem.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
3) Now. the size of my media room is 21'L by 20'W by 10' high. A well light controlled room with the only light coming from the door.

KC
I guess that things ARE bigger in Texas. :)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Also, I have contacted a few of the members here about some of the PJs they have for sale. I wasn't trying to bother you guys and I apologize for not going ahead with anything but as you can see I am conflicted. Hope you understand.

KC
don't rush into this, and anyone who dosen't want to be "bothered" is someone you should avoid. BTW, that is huge frickin theatre, you should be able to get at least 2 rows of seats with 4 or 5 seats per row. If you're concerned about what a HT with a Marquee looks like, you can go to the E-tech web-site and look at some of the pics in the gallery, also the pics in my gallery look pretty good if I don't say so myself. :D

Edit: BTW found this and thought it was perfect for you, talk about a Party Palace :eek:
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...g/ppuser/55153

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What's your budget for PJ and screen? Remember you've got other equipment purchases also.

Yep, if the SO is involved and can't be convinced to upgrade later, buy the best you can afford now. You can sleathly upgrade smaller pieces later. Remember one black DVD player looks like another. "This old thing? Naaa! We've had it for ever." :D

I would recommend quality cable in the walls. Maybe a conduit for future PJ replacement. You might need HDMI/DVI later. "Honey PJ's worn out and needs to be replaced."

I'd open new threads for

1 - Dallas Demo

2 - Dallas calibrator. They need to be experienced with CRTs. Maybe even the brand, especially NEC.

Research the Screens forum. Remember the DYI sub-forum. There's TONS of options. Your first decision is purchase or build. Some screens work well with CRT and some not. No grey screen and keep the gain 1.5 or under. If you want to know about Torus, research them here. They're a CRT thing.

10' ceiling?!?! I'd kill for those. Pick what every PJ you want, slap a hush box around it and you still have 8' of clearance. You lucky dog! My ceiling are 7'5".

If you're picky, don't forget the color corrected lens. LC would be nice also. XGs come in XG110LC and XG135LC. I think there are 8500LCs.

Keep reading and researching. It will become clear what's your choice.

Noise ranking
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=noise

PJ Ranking. Start at the last page and go backwards for the latest list
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

10' ceilings?!?! Did I mention how lucky you are?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
don't rush into this, and anyone who dosen't want to be "bothered" is someone you should avoid. BTW, that is huge frickin theatre, you should be able to get at least 2 rows of seats with 4 or 5 seats per row. If you're concerned about what a HT with a Marquee looks like, you can go to the E-tech web-site and look at some of the pics in the gallery, also the pics in my gallery look pretty good if I don't say so myself. :D
Good advice Drag! You should underdstand everything BEFORE you buy anything, because after is too late. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.