AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using a Sony DVP-CX985V, picture quality is just so so, it's hooked up to my 1080i Pioneer plasma @ the moment, will I see a difference in picture quality if I went to an upconverting DVD player/changer? I'm debating on the DVP-CX995V which is also a 400 disc changer with upconverting.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
The answer is: it depends. A good upscaling player will improve PQ for you, but a lousy one might not. I'd recommend the Oppo 981 or 970. 400-disc changers are generally not as good.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
What do you mean "doing 1080i"?

If you mean displaying at 1080i, I highly doubt it. I've never heard of a plasma that wasn't a fixed panel progressive display.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Your plasma is 1024X768 so get a 720p upconverting player should be an improvement over 480p. I'd recommend non-Faroudja players like the newer Sony HDMI players or Oppo 970HD, however I would NOT recommend a 400 disc changer as they break frequently due to multiple moving parts (also tend to scratch your discs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dont some upconverting players allow scaling directly to 768p instead to 720p, or do you need a video processor for that resolution. Seems like a common enough resolution that it should be included in all unconverting players.

Oh and Dannieboiz, in case it isnt clear, all theyre saying is that your plasma is only compatible with 108i input sources, but will convert it to 768p to display it, because you only have a fixed number of pixels.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure what all these means, according to spec my DVP-CX985V is a 480i/480p dvd changer. But the new DVP-CX995V is a socalled upconverting model which is 1080i/720p. Is there a huge difference between the two?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It should be better for your display. There are a few that let you do 1024X768 custom resolution like Momitsu v880/Bravo D1 or D2. Some has 1024X768 on HDMI like Samsung HD941 but it's no different than 1280X720 on 1024X768 HD plasma on my testing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Dannie,

I have that Sony player (the CX995V) and I like it a lot. I'm not sure you're getting the best advice for your situation here.

People say the Oppo players are the very best of the best among sub $500 players, so if you want the absolute best picture quality irrespective of ANYTHING else, that's the way to go.

But the convenience of a 400 disk changer is very nice, and the Sony does an outstanding job of upconversion. My only complaint is that the HDMI connection had handshaking problems with my previous projector, and it only upconverts over HDMI, so until I upgraded projectors I couldn't take advantage of upconversion. I doubt that the problem is widespread among various brands, but it was a verified problem with my Mitsubishi projector.

The way I see it, the difference between the Oppo and the Sony in upconverted picture quality is not going to be near the difference in convenience of a mega changer. And if picture quality means so much to you that you would go to the Oppo, I would advise you to consider the Toshiba HD-DVD player (A1 or A2), which upconverts everybit as well as the Oppo for DVD's, and you would have an HD-DVD player as well.

And I see it like this - if you do buy the changer, it will still be useful when you move to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. The advantage of having a DVD changer would still be there. But if you buy an Oppo or other very high quality upconverting DVD player, it will be superflous when you move to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. That player would simply be obsolete.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RioRebel,

no advise can be better than first hand experience.
I bought my 985 for the convenience because the amount of disc that I have. Not all of my DVD are HD quality since a lot of them are asian dvd (not botlegged) just not recorded with the technology as our movies produced here. So quality is important but I won't see the benefits of all of my DVD's. That's why I wouldn't mind buying 2 seperate player. Of couse one would be the DVD changer and one would be strictly used for movies and those that are TRUE HD. Looks like I'm getting the 995v especially with circuit city is having a sale on it for 299.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Unless I'm missing something on the back of your media box(looked up a picture) I don't see you having a digital input aside from the DB9(which is good for a x360)

But a LOT of the upconversion players out there aren't going to work with your TV without having a DVI or HDMI port.

You're going to need to look into either some of the chinese players like kingwell or hacked LG's and hacked Oppo's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.