AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
From all of the info about the 10ht,plv 60and 70ht i'd say definately.The 60 was prefered over the 10ht 2 years ago even though the pannels in the sanyo plv60ht were made by sony,the same ones in the sony 10ht.The 70 is definately an improvement over the 60 so you should see an improvement if you were to upgrade.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
If you want more brightness, more contrast, less screen door, better blacks and shadow detail, and the latest on board processing, and big improvements in each area then by all means. But if you are happy as a clam with what you have (which you probably aren't or you wouldn't have posted) then it's just about the value of money.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just went from the 10HT to the HD20/PLV-70. My 10HT was destroyed by some water leakage, so I really didn't have a choice.

I boil the whole thing down to this. Sanyo is a technical powerhouse. The brightness, contrast, screen door are all impressive. What Sony lacks in sheer power they make up with in elegance. The GUI for controlling the projector is just top notch. You will feel like you're taking a step backwards when you leave Sony. Functionally I think Sanyo actually does more, it just seems clunky to navigate.

I can also say Sony always seemed to have top notch scalers. When I had the 10HT I never felt compelled to get a seperate scaler. On the other hand I know many PLV-60 owners did. Of course the scaler in the PLV-70 is actually pretty good. I'm happy with it, most of the reviews I've seen have been pretty positive. But don't expect a huge jump in quality with you're SD content, other than brigtness and contrast if you make the switch.

(On a side note, I've often wondered if Sony was tweaking the focus a little when it switched between SD and HD, because that's what I do on the Sanyo and it looks a lot like the results I had with the 10HT. Sony LCDs auto focus)

Sony has better manuals, an actual program that shows you how to construct control commands for the serial port, auto focus, a CD-ROM with PDF manuals, and a great screen/PJ setup program that creates CAD quality drawings of screen and PJ placement.

But when it's all said and done you have to decide between pure power, and all the little details. Most of the time you aren't in the GUI. You're watching movies. It was an easy choice for me as I had a fat insurence check to spend, but honestly, unless you had ambient light issues you needed to contend with, I'd stick with what you have until LCDs that can render a 1920x1080 come to the market.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Jamal, have you considered using the SMART calibration method with your 10HT? Many forum members who have 10 and 11HT's have said SMART calibration has improved the contrast ratio and colors of their projectors, which may allow you to hold off on upgrading right now. For the money it seems to be a worthwhile investment. You can find more information about SMART Calibration AT THIS LINK

Regards,

Anthony :cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Anthony,

No I have not tried that. How and where to do it.I will immidiately

try to find out. Thanks for your tip.

Jamal

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Jamal, just click on the link above if you want more information regarding SMART calibration. Or better yet JUST CLICK RIGHT HERE :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.