AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 In-wall location pic


I know some of you have helped with trying to improve my modest 5.1 set-up, and I thank you. The idea came to me to try and place a traditional center channel under the LCD (above the mantle) and not use my in-wall center.


Would this improve the sound of my 5.1 set-up? I did not know with the in-walls being so high and poorly baffled (AND paritally deflected by the TV), if placing the center that far down would create odd audio imaging?


I currently have Polk TC615i's for my in-wall front 3. To timbre match i have to stay within the RTi series. The other problem is the space between the bottom of the TV and the mantle is only 5". I would have to raise the TV higher (on an adjustable mount) and further deflect the in-walls to accomodate a larger center speaker box.


If it is recommended to upgrade my center to a tradional speaker box style, would panning scenes sound odd....not that it sounds great now
??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
Why do people insist on putting their TV's above their fireplace? Never made any sense to me. As flat as they are, they are still not a picture within a frame. They are a TV. It's almost like, "Oh, it's flat. I can put it anywhere now." The fact of the matter is that regardless if it is flat or not, you still want that TV to be at eye-level, which means that a location above the fireplace is fine if you do all of your TV viewing while standing up.


Ya just gotta move that TV to another location.


Not trying to be a wise-ass here but any speaker locations with the TV up there is just not going to be good, and so, with that in mind, I would just leave the speakers as they are. Timbre matching in this scenario should not be a concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
How is the rear surround sound with the speakers in the wall above your head? I am in the same boat. I am currently mounting a set of satelites hanging down from the ceiling for my rears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/14236124

In-wall location pic


I know some of you have helped with trying to improve my modest 5.1 set-up, and I thank you. The idea came to me to try and place a traditional center channel under the LCD (above the mantle) and not use my in-wall center.


Would this improve the sound of my 5.1 set-up? I did not know with the in-walls being so high and poorly baffled (AND paritally deflected by the TV), if placing the center that far down would create odd audio imaging?


I currently have Polk TC615i's for my in-wall front 3. To timbre match i have to stay within the RTi series. The other problem is the space between the bottom of the TV and the mantle is only 5". I would have to raise the TV higher (on an adjustable mount) and further deflect the in-walls to accomodate a larger center speaker box.


If it is recommended to upgrade my center to a tradional speaker box style, would panning scenes sound odd....not that it sounds great now
??

IMHO, it is a pointless trade-off. Either get all real, unobstructed speakers or leave it as-is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
But even if he got "real" unobstructed speakers, where in the hell would he put them with the TV up there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
 REAR SURROUND PIC

lwein, I understand your frustration at the logistics of this set-up. My life has been through a lot of changes post H. Katrina.... this is my first house, first HT set-up, first TV that I bought, and my first and only marriage (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
Then I'd leave it the way it is, deepstang.


Didn't mean to get on your case here. Best of luck to ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14236345


But even if he got "real" unobstructed speakers, where in the hell would he put them with the TV up there?

Left, right and in the fireplace!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
deepstang: to really give an honest assessment of what could improve, a wider shot of the whole room would be useful. It may be that the center channel issue is less important than other things, like separating out the left and right more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/14236781

REAR SURROUND PIC

lwein, I understand your frustration at the logistics of this set-up. My life has been through a lot of changes post H. Katrina.... this is my first house, first HT set-up, first TV that I bought, and my first and only marriage (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14237505


deepstang: to really give an honest assessment of what could improve, a wider shot of the whole room would be useful. It may be that the center channel issue is less important than other things, like separating out the left and right more.

With retaining the in-wall speakers, there is no way I can move the placement of the RIGHT in-wall because after that wall ends there is 4 feet of an indentation and then the back-yard door. The only thing I can do is to totally by-pass the in-walls and get floorstanding R,L and a real center.


I took the advice of u experts and bought a Polk timber matched Csi-A4 center and quickly placed it below the TV (even thought it is too big to fit). It sounds richer and fuller compared to the poorly designed in-wall placement.


I think I will have to mount it above the TV because I don't want to push the TV up any further. I hope a floating center above the TV won't look ugly. At least, I can angle that center channel towards the listening area if I decide to go this route
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
You have so many issues working against you in that room, that coming up with a recommendation is difficult, at best.


I'd consider getting rid of the wall-mounted speakers entirely. See about a "sound bar" for under the TV that will serve the purpose of left, right, AND center channel in one vertically slim package. You can fill those wall-speaker holes with drywall and paint it, nobody will ever know they were there.


The rear speakers, while they may look OK, aren't going to be heard from your seating position on the couch. The couch is too close to the wall, and the speakers are going to fire "past" you instead of "at" you. For surround imaging to work, you need a clear line-of-sight from your head to each speaker, and ideally within 90 degrees of the speaker. Some on-wall speakers with tilting brackets would allow you to point them at the listening position, and provide a big help. Moving the couch off the wall a bit would also help.


We can't see the rest of the room, but I'm in agreement that "over the fireplace is generally a terrible place to put a flat-panel TV. It's too high off the floor to do a proper surround treatment, and if you actually USE the fireplace, you're asking for trouble with the convection heat.


Greg
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top