AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Sony receiver(STR-D665, with subwoofer, speakers) which only does Dolby Pro Logic and other dolby standards. Would upgrading(cheaply might I add) to a 5.1 or above receiver really be worth it? Is the sound that much better? I have D* as my TV provider and mainly watch sports.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My original Box home theater was the Sony str-k502. I had it for 4 years, loved it dearly. I upgraded my speakers over the past year, and my receiver's sound suffered because it couldn't power them like it needed to (even though the sound was better with the new speakers). I tried the Denon 1905 and it was an incredible improvement. I upgraded to the denon 2805, and it was another noticable improvement, especially for movies and 2-channel music. I then hooked my rear speakers to my old sony (to let the amps in that one power the smaller speakers), and used the pre-outs from my denon, but had the denon only power the fronts and center (to let it focus it's efforts on the 'tough' speakers), and it was yet another noticeable upgrade in sound. I now hear tons of 7.1 surround effects when watching regular 2-channel direct TV processed to 7.1 by the Denon. I say, try a few receivers out and see what you think, but if you never upgraded from cube speakers, you may not notice the improvement that I did. Traditional advice on this forum seems to be to put the money into speakers first, then new processing. Since I've done both, I can't comment on one without the other. I just know that the package I have now blows me away, even on 2-channel stuff simulated to 7.1.

·
Registered
161 Posts
welcome to avs..........I think it would make a difference.....you can only trust your own ears....many stores have a liberal return policy(30-90days) so bring one home and see for yourself....good luck with whatever you deceide....

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Gibbs
I have an older Sony receiver(STR-D665, with subwoofer, speakers) which only does Dolby Pro Logic and other dolby standards. Would upgrading(cheaply might I add) to a 5.1 or above receiver really be worth it? Is the sound that much better? I have D* as my TV provider and mainly watch sports.

Are you disappointed with the sound?

I have a prepro which does ProLogic but not DD. Simply adding DD does not make the sound innately better. Adding better signal processing and amplification makes it better.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Gibbs

If mostly sports, probably not a humongous improvement, esp if you buy cheap. IMO, the surround modes only add to the ambience (audience sounds, etc), not to the action on the field...at least for the last couple preseason MNF I watched.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL
Are you disappointed with the sound?

I have a prepro which does ProLogic but not DD. Simply adding DD does not make the sound innately better. Adding better signal processing and amplification makes it better.

I'm actually not dissapointed with the sound.

Seems as if upgrading probably isn't worth it.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
DD 5.1 vs Pro Logic -- 5.1 adds discrete rear channels ... there is a left and right in terms of sound routing, with ProLogic, the rear channels are monoaural (same sound out of both. Also the sound range of 5.1 is greater (full range) as opposed to a restricted frequency band with ProLogic. Other newer modes of DD add support for a center rear channel, additional side speakers, some ways to interpret stereo into surround, etc.

Since most of the sound comes out of the front 3 speakers, unless you invested in a significantly more expensive receiver, I'm not sure you'd see a great improvement. Hell, if you like the sound and it works well, just hang with it for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.