AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a working RCA SFT-100 CED player at a local flea market for $10. The guy that had it said today was the day it was going in the dumpster if it hadn't have sold.

I removed the service plate on the top and the player appears to work fine!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It could make a comeback.

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
Classic! I worked at a TV repair shop that rented those. We had a Hitachi that was even stereo! Nyah nyah!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I just remembered that my parents had one (we had like every format at one time or another.) I think we still have the player in one of my relative's storage closets, but the disks went bye-bye about two decades ago.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm down to one CED player! I still find movies all the time. But the sad thing is my VHD still works! Why is it sad? The lack of available cheap software to keep it happy.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
I'd imagine some classic titles (Star Wars, 'Trek etc.) could be worth something.....

I know there's a least one title that was widescreen...foreign film I think it was.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Star Wars and Star Trek CEDs are also sought after by collectors of those shows' general memorabilia, mostly for the cover art. If you happen upon one of them, you could have a couple of eager buyers lining up for them pretty fast.

Return of the Jedi on CED is particularly valuable as it wasn't pressed in a large quantity (it was released around the time the format was killed by RCA.)

·
Registered
30,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/16888435

I know there's a least one title that was widescreen...foreign film I think it was.

Fellini's Amarcord on CED was the first letterboxed release on any home video format.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/16890010

Fellini's Amarcord on CED was the first letterboxed release on any home video format.

In the US

I think CED is a very cool format and I will get a player someday.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey guys

Actually CED it's an interesting format, but my option went for VHD.

I still have a new Victor VHD 9500 3D Player, and around 60 movies new/sealed, some 3D, like Friday the 13th.

It's something i have like a "mark" in history.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's why I like VHD better as a format, much less wear on both the disc and stylus. I dont feel uncomfortable buying VHD movies, but with CED I know it's a crapshoot. I changed the stylus on a CED machine a few years ago mostly from salvaged players. on some machines it's easy on others near impossible as they use an uncommon stylus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.