AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the original speakers (front, center and rear) from my HTIB Onkyo HT-S3300 with Jamo S426HCS3 5.0 speaker system. I'll keep the original subwoofer.


I found a very good price ($299) for Jamo S426HCS3 at Costco (Canada) and also very good reviews for these speakers.


Is it worth ? Will I really get a big improvement in sound quality ?


I need your advice.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,311 Posts
Yes it will. The Onkyo S3300 speakers are terrible. Single full range drivers with no tweeters and very low sensitivity. 82db for the fronts and center and 81db for the surrounds.


You'll find the Jamo system will sound much better and play louder too!


You should look into getting a powered subwoofer one day too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20776661


Yes it will. The Onkyo S3300 speakers are terrible. Single full range drivers with no tweeters and very low sensitivity. 82db for the fronts and center and 81db for the surrounds.


You'll find the Jamo system will sound much better and play louder too!


You should look into getting a powered subwoofer one day too.

1. Jamo S426HCS3 speakers sensitivity: 89db (fronts), 87db(center), 86db(surrounds)

Onkyo HTS-3300 speakers sensitivity: 82db(fronts and center), 81db (surrounds)

Can these small differences of sensitivity make Jamo sound better and louder ?

I'm not very familiar with these parameters.


2. According to the Onkyo HT-S3300 specifications I can't add a powered subwoofer to this receiver. It only accept a down-firing subwoofer.

There is any other way to add a powered subwoofer ?


Thank you afrogt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragami /forum/post/20778406


2. According to the Onkyo HT-S3300 specifications I can't add a powered subwoofer to this receiver. It only accept a down-firing subwoofer.

There is any other way to add a powered subwoofer ?

How is the subwoofer attached to the receiver now? Is it powered? (Does it have it's own volume control on the back?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds
How is the subwoofer attached to the receiver now? Is it powered? (Does it have it's own volume control on the back?)
It's a passive subwoofer, it's not powered (doesn't have its own volume control). It's only attached to the receiver by 2 speaker wires.

But I'm very satisfied with its powerful and deep bass sound. Very surprising for a passive subwoofer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
82 to 89db is not a SMALL difference.


3db is double the sound volume, so the JAmo at the same power will be 4 times louder, meaning you won't turn the receiver up very much.


Lastly, BEFORE you plan on attempting to replace that woofer that comes with the 3300, replace the receiver first. You "could" use a car based subwoofer(since that is the easiest way to find them passive) and try a few out to see which ones are a big enough improvement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
No doubt the Jamo speakers will be an upgrade.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top