AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the HDTV market for a little over 1 month. Over the period of time I've discovered that few HDTV offer 720p. Most offer 1080i (HD) and 480p (SDTV). Moreover, one retailer indicated that most manufacurers are dropping 720p due to a change in HDTV standards and/or a lack of support for it.

Is what this retailer said true? Should I be concerned about locating a monitor that does 720p or should I select from the larger pool of monitors mentioned above?

·
Registered
60 Posts
From what I have been reading it seem like most signals are converted up to 1080i anyway. I saw one post that compared 720P and 1080i to be about the same from a visual perspective. I have not seen the two side by side though but I would imagine some others have some input.

I hope this helps.

Chad

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MWIvy:
Moreover, one retailer indicated that most manufacurers are dropping 720p due to a change in HDTV standards and/or a lack of support for it.

Is what this retailer said true?
What the retailer said is kinda true. There has been no change in the standard. However, the broadcasters are generally lined up behind 1080i except for ABC. ABC's official HDTV format is 720p. But even some ABC affliates convert the ABC 720p programming into 1080i and then locally broadcast the 1080i.

I was in the same quandry as you but I eventually bought a 1080i/480p only HDTV because it seemed apparent that 720p is an ignored format. To the extent that 729p is used . . . I'm sure it looks better on a 720p native display, but it looks pretty good when converted and displayed in 1080i.

Personally, I wish they did show fast moving sports & action movies in 720p since the higher refresh rate would look good.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
720p and 1080i have the same refresh rate in terms of field refresh rate, even though the frame refresh rate is different... The whole screen refreshes two times for the two fields in each 1080i frame, just that only the odd or even scanlines are refreshed.

Line-doubled 1080i (with deinterlacing for 3:2 pulldown) for action movies also looks better than 720p, because line-doubled 1080i with 3:2 pulldown deinterlacing is essentially the same thing as broadcasting the movies at 1080p...!

So some of us may prefer that movies be more common at 1080i so that it can be line doubled to 1080p, since this will play to an advantage in the future when line doublers for 1080i is common... (currently the territory of very, very high end scalers only, however...)

------------------

Thanks,

Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
Lead Software Engineer for The TAW ROCK

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.