AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at spec sheets for new AV Receivers and I notice that some say that they support the latest HDCP v 2.2 and others do not make any mention of it.

Is support of this latest copy protection nonsense a requirement to be able to play future Blu-Ray discs or HD content from STB's ?

Is buying a new AV Receiver without this feature a bad idea, e.g. limiting service life of the AV Receiver?

Honestly, all of this encryption / decryption, measures/countermeasures garbage really churns my gut!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Probably not a deal breaker. Presumably 2.2 will be required for 4K media. All of these new versions are really just there to stay ahead of the protection strippers. There will be more versions in the future.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It really depends on how often you change out your receiver. You may be limiting yourself if you keep your receivers for several years. I wouldn't buy one without it at this point.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It would only be required with whatever new 4K media formats that might develop. Given that almost every TV in existance right now only supports HDCP 1.x and millions of Blu-Ray players and set top boxes that only require HDCP 1.x, it won't be practical or useful for the industry to try to HDCP 2.2 a requirement for new 1080p devices.

If you're concerned about future compatibly for 4K content then you should hold off buying a receiver until a 4K media format gains traction in the marketplace. Who knows what they'll actually require. It could easily be that all 2014 4K AV receivers end up being incompatible just like how all the 2013 4K AV receivers are probably going to be incompatible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many years ago there was a TV program called "Green Acres."

One of the characters was Mr. Eustace Haney.

He was a traveling "flim flam" man who sold you things that you knew were going to be no good in some way in the near future.

He really would have liked all this stuff.

I guess the receiver will probably fail before I am ready for 4K gear anyway.

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
HDCP 2.2: High quality audio seems to be an issue.

I have just returned from Bestbuy/Magnolia. The salesman stressed not to buy a receiver now if wanting compatibility with HDMI 2 HDCP 2.2 I was thinking it was not an issue; Just connect the 4K blu-ray player directly to the display port with HDCP 2.2 and using the HDMI ARC to return the audio signal to the receiver for the audio. Wanting 4K 65"+ OLED display due next year. I thought I had THE migration path and was ready to buy a new receiver now, perhaps Marantz AV7702 or wait for Denon AVR-X7200W. Nope! I left empty handed.

He reported the HDMI ARC process has proven to be unreliable and generally of poor quality when it does work. Unhappy customers. Rumors of a second HDMI port (for audio only) on the upcoming 4K blu-ray players must listened for and be wait for hardware reality. This is the only path he has heard of interest. Must wait as compatibility with the receiver could be an issue or/and the second port may never surface. Watch the net for reports from 2015 CES.

Bestbuy salesman said; Given what I am after (4K blu-ray player and display) not to buy a receiver or 4K display until late 2015 or 2016. Jeepers, I was stunned as he got no sale no commission. :eek:

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I believe the early players will have two HDMI ports. Use one to the TV for video and one to the receiver for audio. Let the TV deal with 4K. No need for any of this nonsense.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts

·
Premium Member
91,844 Posts
I have just returned from Bestbuy/Magnolia. The salesman stressed not to buy a receiver now if wanting compatibility with HDMI 2 HDCP 2.2 I was thinking it was not an issue; Just connect the 4K blu-ray player directly to the display port with HDCP 2.2 and using the HDMI ARC to return the audio signal to the receiver for the audio. Wanting 4K 65"+ OLED display due next year. I thought I had THE migration path and was ready to buy a new receiver now, perhaps Marantz AV7702 or wait for Denon AVR-X7200W. Nope! I left empty handed.

He reported the HDMI ARC process has proven to be unreliable and generally of poor quality when it does work. Unhappy customers. Rumors of a second HDMI port (for audio only) on the upcoming 4K blu-ray players must listened for and be wait for hardware reality. This is the only path he has heard of interest. Must wait as compatibility with the receiver could be an issue or/and the second port may never surface. Watch the net for reports from 2015 CES.

Bestbuy salesman said; Given what I am after (4K blu-ray player and display) not to buy a receiver or 4K display until late 2015 or 2016. Jeepers, I was stunned as he got no sale no commission. :eek:
If HDCP 2.2 is important to you, the Denon X7200W will be hardware upgradeable to HDCP 2.2 in the spring/summer 2015. Our first shipment of X7200W's is going out either Monday or Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
91,844 Posts
This is something I have asked about before... even if we have a dual HDMI output and one goes to the TV, and the other to the receiver, if one of the items that is linked i.e. a receiver which isn't HDCP 2.2, will that activate the protection and even prevent proper sound transmission?
That is not the expectation, no.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
If you don't need equipment now I would wait until late 2015 or 2016 to upgrade ANY piece of equipment. HDMI 2.0 which includes HDCP 2.2 currently is limited to 10gbs bandwidth because of the current chips available.. If you want 4K with higher frame rates, expanded color palette, greater bit depth and up to 34 audio channels you need the new HDMI chips that have 18gbs. Equipment with the new faster chips won't be available to at least mid 2015 but probably later.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Don't buy an obsolete AVR...
@ the January 2015 CES new AVRs including HDCP 2.2 will be introed..
Though nothing has yet been announced, there are new AVRs w/HDCP 2.2 coming from Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, Sony & HK..
And these will ship in the March/April window..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Denon 7200.....

At what cost?

I'll just rustle up my loose change and order one now....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't buy an obsolete AVR...
@ the January 2015 CES new AVRs including HDCP 2.2 will be introed..
Though nothing has yet been announced, there are new AVRs w/HDCP 2.2 coming from Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, Sony & HK..
And these will ship in the March/April window..

Just my $0.02... ;)
I am planning to buy this spring, around March or so (after Tax time). Currently I have an aging Onkyo 705 (over 7 years old!) so I would like to buy the most "future proof" AVR that I can. Dolby Atmos is at the top of my upgrade list, and I plan to get a 4k projector in a few years so hdcp 2.2 is a long term concern.

Looking at the CES exhibitor list I see Sony, Onkyo, DTS and Dolby will be there but Yamaha does not seem to be listed? I hope there are some good units announced in the ~$2000 range. I fear its still too early for DTS-UHD to be announced, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Currently I am looking at the Yamaha A3040, but its lack of hdcp 2.2 isn't ideal. Using 2 HDMI outputs to work around that limitation gets old. I already do that with my Onkyo as it wont pass 3D video, and with that "solution" you lose the OSD of the AVR.

I hope next week will answer some of my concerns.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I agree to wait until next year or later. That's what I plan to do. There's little to no 4K content and very few atmos enabled movies. Wait until content is available before buying hardware that uses it.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
It is not just HDCP 2.2 that you need. You will also want the HDMI 2.0 chips that can handle 18gbs or you won't get the expanded colors palette, bit depth or higher frame rates. The current HDMI 2.0 chips are at 10gbs which is the same bandwidth as HDMI 1.4. Although, HDMI 1.4 can handle 4K up to 30 fps with standard 8 bit color, it won't work with upcoming 4K sources because it doesn't have HDCP 2.2. I hope the new receivers have the 18gbs bandwidth.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Bestbuy salesman said; Given what I am after (4K blu-ray player and display) not to buy a receiver or 4K display until late 2015 or 2016. Jeepers, I was stunned as he got no sale no commission.
That's actually a sign of a good salesman, IMHO. I hope you track him down and give him the sale when you decide to take the plunge. :)

Reactions: htpcforever
1 - 20 of 20 Posts