AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, JVC has a basic LCoS structure (tilted homeotropic) which they avoid calling LCoS. It kicks butt. There are several other LCoS (nematic, diffractive) mechanisms, with different strengths and weaknesses. Outside of JVC, all the "LCoS" projectors I've seen are unimpressive, except for the lack of screen door. The promise is better fill factor, higher resolution, and lower cost. So far I've seen low output, poor contrast, and temporal artifacts (except JVC). What are the chances we'll see 2000 lumen, >300:1 contrast ratio, SXGA, reasonably priced LCoS projos in the next couple years? Who's the best bet to produce it?

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Other than JVC, Hitachi, Sanyo and RCA have indicated access to and interest in LCOS technology.

RCA is not interested in front projectors.

Hitachi is trying hard.

I'll put my money on Sanyo to provide real competition. They seem to have better technical focus than the other players and know how to get high contrast out of LCDs which is impressive by itself.

I think JVC will maintain a competitive position but at a premium price at least 10-20% higher than the competition until someone makes a credible threat to their share of the market.

It remains to be seen how good the one chip LCOS projectors will be.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Also, there will be other LCOS offerings from D-ILA OEMs, once they come on board.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Jeez,

It seems like everybody and their best friend is showing some kind of LCOS chip. Most of the ones I've seen are SXGA and one can reasonably expect contrast to improve on production models (who has time for proper light control on a hastily assembled prototype? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ). My money's on JVC because of their enormous head start. OTOH, there are a few manufacturers that are making SVGA and XGA panels that could come in at current 1-chip DLP prices. I'm not sure if the various LCOS technologies support the switching speed necessary for a 1-chip solution, but that would surely bring the cost and size down drastically. I'm hoping 1H2001 will bring some new entries.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
578 Posts
Three-Five systems makes a LCoS chip that's 1200x1920! That's just started to be sold as a developer's kit. Should be in production in early '02.

RCA is using a lower res. chip from Three-Five in a RPTV coming out this year (so they say).

I think LCoS should be cheaper and more dependable than DLPs (seen too many dead pixels on assorted front and rear projects) so I'm looking for a solid LCoS system myself.

My bet's on infocus for a great projector that'll be cheap enough and designed for home theater, NOT business use.

And what's up with JVC? They've got this huge head start on LCoS and yet they still don't have a cheap front projector or any rear proj. in the US!?! RCA and Samsung are both gonna have RPTVs out here before JVC, and I'll bet when infocus finally comes out with a LCoS projector it'll match a current JVC model for a MUCH lower price.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the leads. When I say reasonably priced, I'm not trying to be greedy, but the specs I suggested should cost less than $5K in 2 yrs, IMO. The new InFocus meets all but the SXGA criteria now for about that money. I'd love to see a JVC (or good clone) get under the $5K mark by XMas 2002, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd agree that InFocus is someone to watch, as they have shown a good combination of performance and reasonably aggressive pricing.

By the way, the construction required to do a single chip LCoS obviously exists, but there are other compromises required to get the faster on/off speeds, so I don't know if that will be a good design for HT.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve5097:
I'd love to see a JVC (or good clone) get under the $5K mark by XMas 2002, but I'm not holding my breath.
You might want to hold your breath afterall.

The SXGA Hitachi is scheduled for October at MSRP 9k. The street I imagine will be lower. I expect other manufacturers to follow suit at the same or better price range. Which would mean we're already clsoing in on your dream.

--Les

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.