AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I right that the LG 55LH90 is the only matte 52 to 55 inch backlit / local dimming LED available right now? If that's true, is there something in the upcoming model year that would also be a matte screen 52" to 55" local dimming LED, as an alternative to the 55LH90?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've been to the stores lately and LG LCD's as well as the LED models are tops IMO. I don't have calibration gear but IMO, their picture is the most bright and vivid and colors look spot on to me.

I'm getting ready to buy the 55LH40 at Frys soon (maybe tonight). Fry's was playing a digital video feed produced by Sony. I saw it playing on multiple tv's on the same row. I got around to the 55LH40 and stopped. I wanted to figure out why I kept stopping at it's picture and thinking it's 'better'. At first I couldn't figure it out. About the 30th lap around the TVs and looking at them, the answer came.

I am browsing the aisle and stop on the 55LH40 model. The video feed focuses on a green leaf. Then I look back at all the other TVs on the row and the answer stood out. I saw a color of green on every other TV that was nearly florescent, like the Predator's blood in that movie. But the leaf and grass on the 55LH40 looked solid, dark, natural, like a real leaf is supposed to look. Not exaggerated. I don't know what setting they had that TV on, but I want to know tonight so when I have it at home, THAT is the color I want on my set all the time. I don't care about calibration. I care about what my own eyes tell me and that set is MINE!

So, the LG's catch my eye with bright whites and what look like "correct" colors. I can't help it. Everytime I go to Frys I find another reason to buy LG and nobody else's TV.

The LED versions are ultra bright like someone washed the regular LCD's whites in bleach. I am not the biggest fan of LED's whites but of all the sets running LED backlighting, LG's looks the most natural and I think they did it right. It's still brighter than I think natural whites look in the real world, but it's not "blue" tinged like Sharp's horrible LED Aquos model.
blek!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.