AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at one of the Big Box stores



I looked at the LG price in our inventory system and noticed it moved to gone when gone for $149.95cad. That means we won't be getting any more in so they slashed price to move them out. Usually that means a new model is on it's way. Has anyone heard of a new drive coming to potentially replace this one that we are selling?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminence55 /forum/post/14218058


I work at one of the Big Box stores



I looked at the LG price in our inventory system and noticed it moved to gone when gone for $149.95cad. That means we won't be getting any more in so they slashed price to move them out. Usually that means a new model is on it's way. Has anyone heard of a new drive coming to potentially replace this one that we are selling?

I don't think so. After I saw the current model on sale for $105 on for one those deal a day sites, I figured they were not making new ones. HD-DVD seems pretty dead at this point.


best to rip them all to disk and remaster as BR for longevity...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Are you talking about the first ones or the new model they introduced a month ago? Seems odd that they'd introduce a new BluRay combo burner then pull it before it got into the consumers' hands for very long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Most likely being phased out. I personally bought a backup drive in case my old one dies on me. I do plan on getting a standalone BD player and I already have a standalone HDDVD player so I think I'm set for a while to have years of enjoyment from my HDDVD collection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,187 Posts
Thanks (I think) fitbrit. I paid $184 for this drive 3 months ago. Good experience w/ncix so I just grabbed another for $144 shipped to US. Probably overkill re: my needs but now I'll have a couple of BD/HDDVD-capable computers here.


Get 'em while they're hot, only 34 left (oops, I mean 33!
).



P.S. In case it's not clear, this is not a Blu-Ray writer, but it IS a DVD DL Writer as well as CD too! Very capable "player" indeed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/14220625


Thanks (I think) fitbrit. I paid $184 for this drive 3 months ago. Good experience w/ncix so I just grabbed another for $144 shipped to US. Probably overkill re: my needs but now I'll have a couple of BD/HDDVD-capable computers here.


Get 'em while they're hot, only 34 left (oops, I mean 33!
).



P.S. In case it's not clear, this is not a Blu-Ray writer, but it IS a DVD DL Writer as well as CD too! Very capable "player" indeed!

I paid $300 for the 1st one when they 1st came out and $160 for 2nd one few months back. Almost as bad as paying $200 for the two (had 3 lucky I sold one when they where in hi demand) 360 HD DVD drives
.

Almost bought a 3rd LG from NCIX but took a reality (sanity...
) pill and decided two LG combo's would do just fine and didnt need a 3rd. Have to save $$$$ for the SLI GTX280's...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
Yup, I got my first one for $260 when NCIX first got them (they were $300 elsewhere). And I got a second one last week from NCIX for $139.99. However, they didn't ship it because one of the items I ordered was out of stock. They shipped yesterday, and adjusted the price to $129.99 to match their sale. This is why NCIX is my favourite online retailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/14222323


Yup, I got my first one for $260 when NCIX first got them (they were $300 elsewhere). And I got a second one last week from NCIX for $139.99. However, they didn't ship it because one of the items I ordered was out of stock. They shipped yesterday, and adjusted the price to $129.99 to match their sale. This is why NCIX is my favourite online retailer.

I like NCIX also over all other E-TAILERS I deal with. Great RMA and service and they will price match most other CDN sellers. Only thing neg about NCIX is their shipping costs...a little higher them some, but they make up for it in service and painless RMA if needed
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/14222323


Yup, I got my first one for $260 when NCIX first got them (they were $300 elsewhere). And I got a second one last week from NCIX for $139.99. However, they didn't ship it because one of the items I ordered was out of stock. They shipped yesterday, and adjusted the price to $129.99 to match their sale.

When I ordered yesterday the price in US dollars converted to $125.86, but then shipping/handling is another $17.72. Shipped already yesterday too! While all us Yanks were out barbecuing, to Canadians it was Friday!



Next week of course they'll be giving these drives away with the purchase of a $10 USB Flash Drive or something. I don't know how anyone makes any money these days, but it's great for us hobbyists!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top