AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
It doesn't sound good...

I wonder how long I can realistically keep my WHS V1 system running.

I just feel as though I've turned into the equivalent of an Windows XP diehard in spite of the enticements of Windows 7...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one thing you lose with V1 is the inability to use drives greater then 2TB. Other then that (which I should have enough expansion available to not be affected for a while) I am hoping I can run with V1 for the foreseeable future.

I am assuming (does anyone know) that Vail can be used with FlexRaid similar to how it is being used with v1? If so that may be an alternative

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
BTW WHS v1 (PP3) recognizes WD30EZRS as a 3TB drive and data copy can be done in the 3TB partition without issue (apart from the possible AFT issue) ( here , mb: GA-MA78GM-S2H). HGST 7K3000 3TB uses physical 512B sectors and there should be no issue with this drive.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19534670

BTW WHS v1 (PP3) recognizes WD30EZRS as a 3TB drive and data copy can be done in the 3TB partition without issue (apart from the possible ATF issue) ( here , mb: GA-MA78GM-S2H). HGST 7K3000 3TB uses physical 512B sectors and there should be no issue with this drive.

Interesting, thanks.

I have stayed away from the Advanced Format drives because the one I did use (Samsung Spinpoint FE4 2TB) caused a lot of issues with my WHS. Removing the drive got rid of the issues.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19534283

Microsoft has just announced a few minutes that they will be removing the Drive Extender Technology from the 2nd version of WHS (known as Vail). You can see more details here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...s-home-server/

Does this signal the death of Windows Home Server as it appears MS is giving the Home Server market a big FU?

I think this is a good thing. I was never a fan of drive extender anyway. A $ 200 raid card is a better option for large storage.

·
Registered
484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19534611

I am assuming (does anyone know) that Vail can be used with FlexRaid similar to how it is being used with v1? If so that may be an alternative

If DE is removed from Vail there should be no reason why FlexRaid wouldn't work...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at the same thing. Is FlexRaid View coming out anytime soon? Or is it FlexRaid Live?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
As not many people use folder duplication (as a media storage server), isn't the removal of Drive Extender a big issue? Core features like below are still there:

- Automated Server and PC backup

- Easy sharing of folders and files

- Remote Web Access and simplified management.

Adding FlexRAID View (and perhaps FlexRAID) is all we have to do. If Windows Media Center were added...

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Good point renethx. I didn't think of using FlexRaid on a WHS system, although I was considering it in other builds. The features you just listed are exactly why I'm leaning toward WHS for my build. And yes, if Media Center were added, that would be even better because I could use it for ALL my recording while only powering up my HTPCs for viewing. I am thinking about going back to GBPVR to do my recording, if I can get it to work on WHS. I was using GBPVR before Windows 7 was released; it's a good app, just not as simple to set up as 7MC.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 /forum/post/19535099

Yeah, I was looking at the same thing. Is FlexRaid View coming out anytime soon? Or is it FlexRaid Live?

I think I read FlexRAID Live will be out by Christmas. It is still a little confusing the difference between Live and View

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19535112

As not many people use folder duplication (as a media storage server), isn't the removal of Drive Extender a big issue? Core features like below are still there:

- Automated Server and PC backup

- Easy sharing of folders and files

- Remote Web Access and simplified management.

Adding FlexRAID View (and perhaps FlexRAID) is all we have to do. If Windows Media Center were added...

Er, hello... I use folder duplication for my photo collection. I don't bother with it for CDs, DVDs, or Blu-Rays, because I already have the physical copies. But in the case of my digital photos, the bits are all I have, so I want easy duplication out of the box.

And frankly, phrases like "adding FlexRAID View (and perhaps FlexRAID) is all we have to do" is fine if you love tinkering with this stuff. Keeping my HTPC running is already a full-time job and wastes more time than I want.

I want a storage solution that works out of the box and is simple enough for the average joe and jane to run. WHS V1 has come pretty close to that.

I don't want, or need, Windows Server 2008 R2, thank you very much.

Renethx - you are deeply knowledgeable, and I take my hat off to you, but we can't all be like you... Some of us just want a storage appliance.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If MyMovies or similar software is able to aggregate movies from multiple drives, then good riddance to Drive Extender. I have no need for it. Microsoft may actually have come to their senses.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita /forum/post/19535365

If MyMovies or similar software is able to aggregate movies from multiple drives, then good riddance to Drive Extender. I have no need for it. Microsoft may actually have come to their senses.

I think the big problem, a lot of people are using WHS (home built or an OEM solution) specifically for Drive Extender. I for one use it for the ease of giving me data redundancy and for easily pooling all my data without having to think about it. I have about 10-11TB worth of media, so it comes out to about 20-22TB with of required space. I understand it may not be the most elegant or efficient solution but for my setup it just works without having to tinker, etc... Also, I know a lot of people who use Drive Extender for the same exact reason.

I guess at least from the OEM side is to see what directions the manufacturers go. What will HP do with the Media Smart server line, or is the fact they are now selling Drobos signaling they are killing the MSS?

·
Registered
457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19535401

I think the big problem, a lot of people are using WHS (home built or an OEM solution) specifically for Drive Extender. I for one use it for the ease of giving me data redundancy and for easily pooling all my data without having to think about it. I have about 10-11TB worth of media, so it comes out to about 20-22TB with of required space. I understand it may not be the most elegant or efficient solution but for my setup it just works without having to tinker, etc... Also, I know a lot of people who use Drive Extender for the same exact reason.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a number of clients who are using WHS specifically for this reason. They don't WANT to have to hire an IT guy just to add some more movie rips to their collection. They don't WANT to have to make sure all their drives are the same. They want to go down to Fry's pick up whatever drive is on sale that week and throw it in their JBOD. My largest WHS has a14.5TB WHS right now (I know not quite as big as yours, dbone, but large nonetheless). Moving that over to a RAID solution would be brutal.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts