Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First let me say thank you for any info or advice any of you may give.

Next let me say that I am new to this site and if I am posing a question that has already been asked, then I apologize.

I am having a new home built and will have a media room that is 15 feet long and 11 feet wide. Because of the size of the room, I am limited to the size of my TV and speakers.

When I first started my research for what I thought I wanted, it all seemed easy, but now I find myself more confused than when I first started my quest for a new system.

Prewiring for my new house is happening this weekend & I only have 2 1/2 weeks left before I have to make all the final choices for all of my components. I am seriously confused on which TV to select. I can not fit anything larger than 55"

I intially was going to buy a 55" Mitsubishi, b/c of all the hype over mitsubishi. Then I looked at the Samsung DLP and fell in love with the picture. Then I read reviews on both of them and found that they each had their quirks. I really was not impressed with the picture quality on the 55" Mitsubishi w/the intergrated HDTV tuner. I saw some of the Pioneer Elite TV's and thought they had a slightly better picture than the Mitsubishi.

So it brings me to wonder, is Mitsubishi as good as people have made them to be. Or has some of the other companies just caught up and possibly surpassed Mitsubishi as a better product.

My max budget for a TV is gonna be $4,000. I have read a lot of stuff on this website about the Samsung DLP. I understand that the term Best is all relative to the individual providing their opinion.

So is Mitsubishi the best, if not who is, and what can I find for up to $4,000

·
Registered
210 Posts
not sure if you would consider a rear projection lcd...but you can easily fit a sony 60" in your space. that's a similar sized room as mine. and i'm happy with the 60" rp lcd. i paid a little less than $4000 out the door.

model is kf-60xbr800.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the Sony Grand Wegas, but I have not seen one of this year's model to compare it to the DLPs. I guess I can go take a look at one

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Mits is definitely not the best out of the box. But is the best after tweaking. (Although there are new Pioneer Elites coming)

DLP and LCD sets require minimal tweaking and maintenance compared to CRT sets. In many areas the PQ is better on these sets, if you can deal with the negatives.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You can get a 55" Mitsu for about $2K and get it professionally calibrated by an ISF tech for about $400. This set will be FAR superior to anything you can currently get from DLP, LCD or LCoS.

I'm guessing that in 2 years you will be able to buy a 2nd or 3rd generation 55" DLP/LCD/LCoS for about $2K. These future sets will be much improved over the current generation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I narrowed my decision down to a mitsubishi and a pioneer elite. I read this forum for 2 months before pulling the trigger. Seemed you couldn't go wrong with either set but the pioneer had better stretch mode. I bought the pioneer pro530hd. Got the store to discount it from $3499 to $3063 and also mailed in the $500 rebate (the list price on the pro630hd is $1000 more and the rebate jumps to $700). Plus, Gregg Loewen is scheduled to put the ISF wammy on it.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
To each their own. You will see many different responses here on what is best. The answer to your question....you have to decide what is best for you. IMO, Mit07 makes a valid point, out of the box Mits will not look its best (that is what you are seeing on the showroom floor). After proper setup, it can't be beat by another RPTV, even by the beloved Pioneer Elites. That is coming from an Elite owner. Good luck and get what is best for you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks for all of those that responded.

I will no doubt have a tough choice. I have seen the picture on last years Platinum (this years gold plus series) and this years Silver series plus (last years gold plus series) and I was not impressed with the Silver Series Plus. I did get to see the 46 inch Samsung DLP and boy did it wow me. But picking TV's at this level is not that simple. I have no experience with convergence, calibrating or any of the other steps used to tweak a TV. I guess I will have to look into those, how easy or difficult, how often, tools or equipment used, etc.

Luckily, my setup will initially be professionally installed and they will no doubt tweak everything, but I will need to learn how to maintain it.

Also, is it worth buying a TV with the intergrated HDTV tuner if I will have a separate HDTV Receiver from the satellite company.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm with you rookie, the Samsung wowed me.. I have a 6 month old sony 46 but due to remolding project space is limited and the Sammy will fit just right... Now trying to find a good price..

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
The DLP do look great in comparison in most showrooms.

Do yourselves a favor and don't read these forums concerning the drawbacks of DLPs (I promise not to mention any in this thread), you may not ever even notice. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Marc I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree. If I'm going to spend $4,000 I would want to be knowledgable about any and all drawbacks so I can make my decision with all of the pertinent facts. I would hate to spend the money, get the set home, and then find out there are drawbacks that that will keep me from enjoying my set. Sure you could always return the set (if within 30 days) but why go through that hassle if you do not have to??

·
Registered
22 Posts
My guess is by the :) that Marc was attempting humor. With all the info and opinions flying around maybe ignorance is bliss. If our original poster is anything like me he'll research until he's blue in the face, make his decision, then second guess it for several months afterwards. Such is the life of a perfectionist.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Hitachi is better than Mits on many---many points.
That list has grown much smaller with the x13 series. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
What are the remaining advantages that the current Hitachi line has over the Mits line? On the middle tier, the Hitachi comes with an anti-glare screen, and all Hitachi will accept 720p input. Only the Mits Diamond has an anti-glare screen, but it seems that many are just as happy with the screen off altogether, and Mits won't accept 720p input, but there are ways around that. Calibrators even call it a close call with regard to PQ, except that Hitachi may produce ever so slightly artifacts as a result of scaling 480p DVDs to 540p/1080i.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
anti-glare = diamond shield????

if so, 2004 line is NOT JUST DIAMOND SERIES

413 has diamond shield

·
Registered
663 Posts
The 413 models come with anti-scratch screen, not the Diamond model's antiglare screen. I just bought one... The screen is coming off first thing because it has a lot of glare to it, and I don't have pets or kids.

Sage

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
ok

so anti-scratch = diamond shield???

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.