AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're remodeling our downstairs and getting close to finalizing the layout of the rooms. HopefulFred was very helpful in my first thread with respect to the media-centered room here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1356785 . We've decided to go with a flat panel (65-70") instead of the DLP or projector. I expect we'll mostly be watching movies in here, but there will likely be some general TV as well as occasional xbox gaming.

We'll be tearing all the drywall to the studs. For those that don't want to click through to the other thread, the space we're starting with is:

The cabinets in the first picture are going to be blown out. The wall with the picture (3rd picture) will be bumped back 4 feet and that will be the wall w/ the TV. Our primary seating area will probably be roughly where the center of the shuffleboard table is right now. Dimensions of the room will be 22 feet long X 14 feet wide.

WAF is a consideration. Looking to go with in wall speakers for the front and rear of a 7.1 setup. My initial thought with respect to the rears was they would go somewhere around that blue cylindrical lamp you see in the first picture (recall the cabinets will be gone). I can't go much further forward (on the wall) since, as you see in the second picture, there is a large opening to the family room.

For the side speakers (assuming I should go with 7.1) my options would be either to mount something on the header of the opening in the second picture OR go with in ceiling. Alternatively, if it isn't worth it, I can simply stick with a 5.1 setup and ignore the 7.1 approach/sides.

FWIW I'm thinking about going with the Polk RC85i's for the in-wall, but haven't landed on an an in-ceiling (RC80i?), center or sub. Open to suggestions on everything/anything, including an alternative to the RC85i's. I do intend to get some sort of curtain or other divider that can be used to close off the room when in serious movie-watching or gaming mode.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
For true dedicated HT, I would avoid in ceiling speakers. But for more of a casual, mixed used space that is a part time HT, part time living room, etc., I think its fine. I installed a 5.1 system in my living room using in-wall for LCR, and in-ceiling for surround, and is works fairly well (aimable tweeters on the in-ceilings help a bit).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20890377

For true dedicated HT, I would avoid in ceiling speakers. But for more of a casual, mixed used space that is a part time HT, part time living room, etc., I think its fine. I installed a 5.1 system in my living room using in-wall for LCR, and in-ceiling for surround, and is works fairly well (aimable tweeters on the in-ceilings help a bit).

Thanks, Brad. Have to say you've built an amazing HT (couldn't help but wander over to your thread).

Does anybody have any feedback on the speaker's I was targeting. Would love suggestions on what center/sub to pair with them, and to reiterate, I'm open to considering other/better/more expensive in wall & in ceiling speakers if I should.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.