Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I finished a round of tweaks early this year and for the amount of money I spent I could have bought a new component. This got me thinking about how to spend my money on the system in the future. Am I better off buying new components and keeping the infrastructure the same or improving the infrastructure to get better results from my existing components? In other words would you buy a new DVD player or pre-pro or improve their performance by changing out "behind the scenes" parts to reach the same goal?

What was most interesting is that I've spent similar amounts on both over the past couple of years and found that for a given amount of dollars spent on well planned tweaks the overall results were very similar to a thoughtful component upgrade. Is your experience the same? What would you do?

BP

·
Registered
337 Posts
I prefer to tweak to get maximum performance from any given set of components.

I will upgrade components if they either get old and shakey (like me) or some majot technological change comes along.

The beauty of improvement through tweaking is that tweaks tend to stay (eg cables rarely wear out!!!) and you can do them one bit at a time.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Once you have a system in place, and assuming your gear is of decent quality already, prioritize upgrades in this manner:

--Room treatment

--Speakers

--Room treatment

--Anything involving digital processing, including DAC's (this means going for the features you want primarily, with consideration to how many AD/DA stages you go through, and overall quality of DAC in general)

--Amplifiers

--Things you want to change for purely cosmetic reasons, like racks, cables, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.