AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
I get 100 feet for 28.99, retail is $89.99! Is Monster still highly respected in speaker cable?

Google it. Then go to your local hardware store, buy "heater cord" and live a happy life.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Screw Monster. Their stuff looks spiffy and isn't horrible, but I refuse to buy anything they make because of the price gouging, and the way the owner conducts business

For in wall stuff, I just run plain monoprice cl-2 12ga wire, and everywhere outside the walls, I use knukonceptz "kord ultra flex" 12ga wire. It's about $50 for 100 feet, super flexible, and actual real 12 ga, not just large outer insulation

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-a...sp/kord-ultra-flex-12-gauge-speaker-wire-100/

Speaker wire really isn't anything high tech.. as long as you have real copper strands (not copper clad aluminum), and it's appropriate gauge size, it will work well. You just pay for how fancy it looks, or how flexible, etc. Stuff like lamp cord will work, it's just not as flexible, and may have lower strands, but that doesn't mean it won't work well

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
TomT99 said:
I get 100 feet for 28.99, retail is $89.99!
You should be able to get 14ga. speaker wire for ~30¢/ft. at your local hardware store. If the Monster stuff is 14ga., $28.99 is a fair price for 100'. If it's not, then it's not.

Is Monster still highly respected in speaker cable?
It was highly-respected?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Reactions: lovinthehd

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Why buy speaker wire at Best Buy!? Just go to your hardware store and enjoy the savings... Menards, Lowe's even Walmart had good quality stuff for a a fraction of the "monster price" of Monster cables...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Monster Diamond Series is the Best!:p

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why buy speaker wire at Best Buy!? Just go to your hardware store and enjoy the savings... Menards, Lowe's even Walmart had good quality stuff for a a fraction of the "monster price" of Monster cables...
W my discount I get 100 ft for $28.99, normally $89.99. It looks pretty and it's good quality, why not?

·
Registered
848 Posts
At that price, it's not bad depending on the gauge.

What gauge is it? If it's 14 or lower, just buy it since it's obvious you want to. You could save your money buying something else but if you like how it looks go ahead.

Most people here (myself included) wouldn't buy it just out of principle and would go for a cheaper wire. But if it makes you happy and it's not a bad price (with your discount) then go for it.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's 16 AWG.

If you look at Best Buy dot com you can buy 100' of Monster Navajo White for $15.99. It's the same 16 AWG copper in a different jacket. Put your discount on that. It will sound the same for less than half the price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/monster...wire/3183842.p?id=1051384447379&skuId=3183842
+1. Or just buy Amazon basics wire for $9 http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...8&qid=1428609778&sr=8-1&keywords=speaker+wire

Even at the discount Monster is overpriced.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Buy whatever you want to buy. When it comes to speaker wire, it doesn't matter a whit. You will get the same results with any wire.

Monster is a company that should be put out of business for its practices, however, so I would choose anything else. Anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.