AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I've installed Windows 7 64 bits and MPC-HC last build.

Some years ago, there was a sticky thread with a configuration guide to MPC-HC, but not anymore.

I saw a Windows Media Center guide and a XBMC guide.

Should I drop MPC-HC and use Windows Media Center or XBMC?

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_user /forum/post/20879790

Last week, I've installed Windows 7 64 bits and MPC-HC last build.

Some years ago, there was a sticky thread with a configuration guide to MPC-HC, but not anymore.

I saw a Windows Media Center guide and a XBMC guide.

Should I drop MPC-HC and use Windows Media Center or XBMC?

if you are going to use XBMC for all your movies then go for it, it plays MKV no problem and works very well

if you do not want to use "a full environment" then mpc-hc will also play mkv files with no problem. Depending on the codec you want to use you will have to find a configuration guide, whether it's CCCP, Sharks, ffdshow generic or something else.

I use XBMC but also sometimes use MPC-HC, no codecs installed, just configured to use DXVA, like here http://imouto.my/watching-h264-video...video-version/

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
IMO, no questions no discussions... for MKV playback it is MPC-HC all the way...

I use MPC-HC with LAV, LAVCUVID and madVR (on a GTX-460) for MKV playback...

Image is stunningly great, HD audio is bitstreamed, support for subtitiles (including forced subtitles)... etc...etc...

I rip BR to MKV using MakeMKV, this preserves chapters, HD audio...etc... name it...

I use 7MC with media browser...

Configured with TMT 5 for 3D BR and DVD playback, MPC-HC for MKV playback and live TV for DVB-S/S2 broadcasts...

Sooo sweet...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky /forum/post/20880044

IMO, no questions no discussions... for MKV playback it is MPC-HC all the way...

Image is stunningly great, HD audio is bitstreamed, support for subtitiles (including forced subtitles)... etc...etc...

I rip BR to MKV using MakeMKV, this preserves chapters, HD audio...etc... name it...

Configured with TMT 5 for 3D BR and DVD playback, MPC-HC for MKV playback and live TV for DVB-S/S2 broadcasts...

Sooo sweet...

I do agree that using MPC is a great option ( I use it as well launching from Media Browser). However, once you introduce a 3rd party player there is always the chance that you add some extra instabilities. For me there have been instances where MPC HC would not launch properly from Media Browser, or both it and the WMC player would launch simultaneously, etc... Ideally if you can find a player that has a fully integrated and capable video player, the better off you are

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, looks like MPC-HC is still a valid option. On my previous windows installation, I used XBMC to organize the files and MPC-HC launched from XBMC.

As I'm using an old eVGA 7900 GS, I believe DVXA is not available.

Should I use MPC-HC + Haali Splitter and ffdshow?

Our should I buy a cheap video card just for video playback, which would allow dvxa?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_user /forum/post/20880107

Ok, looks like MPC-HC is still a valid option. On my previous windows installation, I used XBMC to organize the files and MPC-HC launched from XBMC.

As I'm using an old eVGA 7900 GS, I believe DVXA is not available.

Should I use MPC-HC + Haali Splitter and ffdshow?

Our should I buy a cheap video card just for video playback, which would allow dvxa?

You can grab a cheap NVidia card and then run LAV CUDID + MadVR +Lav Splitter + MPC HC. That should do the trick

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20880120

You can grab a cheap NVidia card and then run LAV CUDID + MadVR +Lav Splitter + MPC HC. That should do the trick

Let's say I have a 1080p mkv file, does LAV offer better video quality then the default DVXA codec in MPC-HC?

Also is LAV used by XBMC, the reason why I ask is because I see no difference in video quality using the 2 players.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20880210

Let's say I have a 1080p mkv file, does LAV offer better video quality then the default DVXA codec in MPC-HC?

Also is LAV used by XBMC, the reason why I ask is because I see no difference in video quality using the 2 players.

That is questionable to be honest. I have been meaning to do some comparison tests. There are a few comparisons already floating around here, and I have a feeling each person's setup, eyes, etc... will determine ultimately what they see. From what I have seen the PQ isn't dramatically better going from the MPC HC renderer to MadVR

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20880254

That is questionable to be honest. I have been meaning to do some comparison tests. There are a few comparisons already floating around here, and I have a feeling each person's setup, eyes, etc... will determine ultimately what they see. From what I have seen the PQ isn't dramatically better going from the MPC HC renderer to MadVR

if that's the case why is everyone suddenly talking about MadVR, is it because ffdshow blows?

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20880254

damian i really like your site

and your guides.

i also like that somebody who has experience in htpc systems

admits something like that.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana /forum/post/20881816

damian i really like your site

and your guides.

i also like that somebody who has experience in htpc systems

admits something like that.

Thanks. I have found the biggest thing is just to go by what works for you, and what your eyes tell you. Everyone will have a different opinion of what is best. I have found with HTPCs don't overcomplicate, don't let someone convince you what is best, figure what is best/looks best for your setup and run with it.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20881850

Thanks. I have found the biggest thing is just to go by what works for you, and what your eyes tell you. Everyone will have a different opinion of what is best. I have found with HTPCs don't overcomplicate, don't let someone convince you what is best, figure what is best/looks best for your setup and run with it.

Wow, what fantastic advice.

I agree 100%. I think its best to just keep it simple and enjoy your HTPC and the media it plays. There are many fantastic options out there.

I like the ones that are the simplest and have the highest WAF.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20882018

Wow, what fantastic advice.

I agree 100%. I think its best to just keep it simple and enjoy your HTPC and the media it plays. There are many fantastic options out there.

I like the ones that are the simplest and have the highest WAF.

Yeah, something like the whole 23.976 issue, I am not saying it doesn't exist nor that it doesn't affect some people, but I am convinced some people only "see" it because they read about it. I actually find sometimes the less you read on the forums the better (the whole ignorance is bliss!). For me WAF is the highest priority since my wife uses the HTPCs/media players in my house more often then I do for herself and playing back for my boys.

FYI - I gave a quick shoutout to Assassin and Renethx:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...s-of-the-week/

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20882042

Yeah, something like the whole 23.976 issue, I am not saying it doesn't exist nor that it doesn't affect some people, but I am convinced some people only "see" it because they read about it. I actually find sometimes the less you read on the forums the better (the whole ignorance is bliss!). For me WAF is the highest priority since my wife uses the HTPCs/media players in my house more often then I do for herself and playing back for my boys.

FYI - I gave a quick shoutout to Assassin and Renethx:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...s-of-the-week/

Thanks man. Appreciate the words!

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky /forum/post/20880044

Balky, I'm happy you've got everything working fluidly. Perhaps you should write a guide to help the rest of us who encounter issues...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPoobar /forum/post/20883702

Balky, I'm happy you've got everything working fluidly. Perhaps you should write a guide to help the rest of us who encounter issues...

TBH, Assasin's guides are more than good enough, and I'll be kinda re-inventing the wheel if I start yet another guide.

You can PM with the details of your setup, and I will share all I have with you.

Upfront info, my media format is limited to ISO for 3D BR, TS Folder for DVD and MKV for 2D BR.

I don't do DivX or MKV compression or all of the complex time hungry activities, and I don't try to have my system support every existing format...

This simplifies my setup to such an extent that my brother in-law could use the system on the second day of his week long visit...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPoobar /forum/post/20883702

Also keep in mind that there is not one guide that fits everything. I have tried to put guides together to help out, Assassin has some great guides, Renethx does a lot on the forums here, etc... Unfortunately HTPCs can have a mind of their own, and there is really no such thing as an error free or issue free HTPC (of course we all do our best to minimize or prevent errors as much as possible)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.