AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've noticed this oddity with my PJ since the day i got it. In the beginning I didn't think much of it, since i was a nwebie (and still am!!) and hadn't really taken a lot of time to converge it. Now that im working on getting it dialed in on my new screen. Its starting to cause problems. The oddity is in the internal test pattern grid. The bottom bar of the grid is made of 3 lines. The lowest of the 3 lines seems to stop about 3/4 of the way across the pattern. I've included a picture, its a bit blurry but the best i could do.

This seems to point to a problem that manifests itself in the RGB input in that the bottom right of the screen is skewed upward. It seems like this would be a convergence problem, but even the green is skewed in that corner and theres no tilt adjustment for green. Has anyone seen a problem like this on the 1031q.

pictures:
http://www.gridley.org/~inslaim/paul...estpattern.jpg
http://www.gridley.org/~inslaim/paul...nxpdesktop.jpg

-paul

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine is hard to get totally square, too. I'm not sure that it's a defect.

I bet someone here has an idea on how to dial it out.

eric

·
Registered
496 Posts
Paul-

I dont think any 10xx PJ I have ever seen is perfect. :-O

With the grid- As you stand at the rear of the projector, lift the convergence board. See the three thread spools? about 4 to 6 inches below them you will see 4 trim post all close together. Mark their original positions, then have at it. Proper adjustment here will fix the framing issue. You *might* find you need to readjust these controls if you input composite as some sources will give video noise above the picture. They can be dialed to eliminate a significant portion of the image.

For the out of square, which I think is an independent problem, make sure the PJ is mounted correctly for your application. If the projector is twisted or not straight to the screen it will be difficult to compensate. I had a similar problem to yours, and it turned out my mount was off just a bit.

Hope this helps.

--Kieth

·
Registered
152 Posts
on the kludge side, that's why so many people use flat black trim around their viewing surface. I just reconverged my 1031q last night to a 16x9 'ish' image, to take advantage of the 16x9 output from my dvd player.

I think I'm going to be happy. But now I have to make another screen.

(I'm going to have to post some images one of these days.)

Eric

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
This is normal, I've seen this on a lot of 10XX series.

Curt

·
Registered
204 Posts
Glad to hear it's not defective, Paul. I'd still like to get by and check it out. If you nailed your screen the first time around and want to get rid of that extra piece of Plas-Tex, lemme know :^D. I think I'm going to be getting a 1251q pretty soon, so I guess I better figure out what to do for my screen. Give me a call when you're ready to borrow my Video Essentials to dial in the contrast, color, et cetera on your PJ. Sounds like you're getting closer and closer (yea!). Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all! Ill keep working.

Curt - when you say youve seen this before and its normal, do you mean

that if i tweak/converge properly i will see it go away? or do i just ignore it and tweak best i can?

Steve - Things are looking good. Whenever i turn on a dvd, my wife just sits there and stares! I just got the PP screen up and framed in wood/black velvet. Brightness and color are much better than the yellow wall i had before!! :) I still have the extra piece of PP, I might like to keep it since Lowes just sent back the other 47 pieces they had, and im worried about bulges/waves coming back. We can talk about it. I still have PJ alignment issues and the issue talked about in this thread (which looks like its just convergence stuff). Are you ready to bring by the Video Essentials??

-paul

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not too sure I'd lose much sleep over the absence of the plastex sheets, Paul. I whipped out my first screen, a 60x80 video format screen using 2x4s and drywall in about 40 minutes. And that needed a drywall seam across the length of the screen.

With a 16x9 format, you probably wouldn't even need to mud the drywall screws. Just edge screw it, paint, and trim over the screws.

Granted, I already had the drywall, studs, and mud in my garage. But having seen the plastex stuff at lowes, and knowing how stable a real drywall-based screen is, I'd go for building it with sheet gypsum.

Sorry, this probably should have been in the 'screens' discusison area.

Eric

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're ready for VE, I'm ready, Paul. I've got to work in San Antonio on Saturday (should be an all day thing), so that won't work, but maybe Sunday afternoon would be good. I am off tomorrow. I've got some errands and honey-dos to do, but if you want to just get it out of the way, I'm thinking I can come over tomorrow (Thursday). I forgot, but you are north (Round Rock, maybe), aren't you? Just update this thread or drop me an email.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.