AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time AVS forum reader, 1st time poster. Tried to find help but couldn't identify anything particular to my situation:

I have a refurb 5060 that has been in use about 6 weeks. I use the coax out to connect to my old-school tv on channel 3, and this has worked well. I use the ethernet cable only to update manually about once/week (I have a long cable I plug it into every so often). Again, no probs, and I have had the latest 1100 software version for about 2-3 weeks.

Yesterday it wouldn't work. :) Specifically, it wouldn't respond to the remote. I push the power button on the unit, and the blue light comes on. The screen on my tv (chan 3) turns black for about 5 seconds, and then goes back to normal channel 3 programming. The blue light stays on, but does not respond to the remote, and will only reset (when I hold in the power button)- pushing the power button briefly does nothing. I have reset and unplugged the unit several times, and one time I got a 'please wait' screen for about 15 minutes before I decided to unplug the unit again.

I tried calling the 800 tech support number, and after getting through, I think they're going to give me an RMA (I'm still on the phone).

My question - is this just a hard drive problem? I had no problems with stuttering/lockups that others seem to mention, and the unit is only on when I watch recorded shows (ie I don't watch live tv with it).

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
First, try unplugging eveything (coax, power, everything). Press the power button several times after it's all disconnected. (This makes sure all the power is dumped from the system.)

Wait 15 minutes and connect it all up. If you get the 'please wait' screen for a while, let it sit. Sometimes it takes a while to recover from issues.

Sure could be a hard drive issue, but let's see how this goes.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm guessing it isn't the drive, actually - go for the RMA. You might try unplugging it for a few hours, then plugging it back in with the ethernet cable attached. Sometimes that works.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Dave welcome to the group!

Too bad you had to post with a problem.

I'm guessing your input is also coax in, right?

Lee's suggestion are good, sure sounds like something I would say. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input -

I was issued an RMA number, but given everyone's tenative experience with Replay/DNA, I hesistate SOMEWHAT to send it in.

I tried disconnecting everything, pushing power, and then reconnecting (just coax out to tv), but the same thing still happened, just the blue light, and normal channel 3.

I was sort of hoping it MIGHT be a hard drive problem, as I've upgraded my showstopper, but I think this may be some other sort of hardware problem, and since it's still under warrenty I'll let them figure it out.

I'll keep posting about my RMA experience, hopefully it will be good! :)

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Did you wait the 15 minutes after unplugging/pressing power? I ask because you didn't mention it...

If that doesn't do it, it's most likely unfixable without working on the drive, and it could be a deeper hardware issue as you say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lee -

Yes, I left it unplugged about 20 minutes and pressed power intermittantly throughout, same result!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Okay, thanks. Unless you feel comfortable pulling the drive (and that's not even a guaranteed fix here...), I'd use the RMA since you have one.

One of the 'Please wait' screens is in the hardware ROM, and if you aren't getting past that.... the drive cable could just be loose, but, again, once you open it, you're betting that the tech at the other end will igore the broken sticker. Crapshoot there...

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
davebs,

I suggest that if you can avoid RMA, by all means, do it! I ordered a refurbished unit on 8/10/03 and it died on 9/3/03. After a few days of self diag, I called CS and received an RMA on 9/6/03. After 4 more calls, I have yet to receive my replacement unit (10/8/03) -- after being told (twice now), "it should be there in 4 days, 2 day for processing and 2 day shipping". :confused:

-d

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I thought I'd summarize my experience. Overall, very good

I got the RMA and boxed up and shipped the unit 9/30.

Cost of box at officemax - $3.50

1st class postage USPS - $16 (with delivery confirmation)

Received 5060, which looks like a new unit today 10/8. Not bad response time.

Now for my frustration :)

I had previously purchased the refurb with lifetime activation. The replacement unit is not activated.

I called replay, and 1st was told the computers are down, try again in 2 hours.

I called again in 2h, and the rep said that some computers were up, but his wasn't, and he suggested I call right back.

Currently I'm on hold waiting to activate my unit. Otherwise things went very smoothly and although time consuming, I'm rather pleased.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wanted to give an update on my RMA. With ReplayLyndon's help, I now have a working refurbished ReplayTV. Basically, after trading a few emails with ReplayLyndon on 10/08/03, he was able to setup a shipment on on 10/10/03. I received the unit on 10/16/03.

Hopefully this one will work longer than the previous unit, some 25 odd days. I will have to say that this forum is great! Thanks ReplayLyndon!!!

-d

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
davebs...if your box still isn't activated, send me an email...
Dave to save time... If you email lyndon include the serial number of your unit. =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.