Originally Posted by CRFTony
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It was just a simple mistake on my part. It changed the video out to Component and as soon as I switched it back, everything was working again.
Unfortunately, the firmware didn't update. I'm still on 1.4. I tried to do another firmware update and now it won't auto detect the IP, etc. I'm connecting the cable modem directly to the player, no firewall or anything like that, but no dice. I did download the ISO file for 2.2 but haven't had luck with that either. I burned a CD as a disc image using Nero burning rom and the player said something like "disc is not a DVD" so I burned a DVD-r as a disc image and it said "no disc". I'm apparently really stupid when it comes to updating this player.
I love my A1, don't get me wrong. It's an excellent player, both for HD DVDs and as an uprezzing SD DVD player. It blows my PS3 out of the water in every way, except for user friendliness. When I updated my PS3, I just downloaded the update onto an iRiver, plugged it into the player, clicked update and was done within 5 minutes. To update the A1, I've wasted 5 or 6 cd-rs, a dvd-r, bought an ethernet cable to connect the modem directly to the player, and have spent several hours trying to get one of the options to work, and I still can't get it figured out. I'm not a dumb guy, but the A1 sure makes me feel like I am.