AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my Denon (and some other electronics) got zapped by lightning last night and now it doesn't seem to work. It was plugged into a surge protector but that didn't seem to stop the surge. Anyway, the power light is green but the front display does not show anything. I tried unplugging it but that didn't help.

So does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed? Could be be some fuse inside that needs replacing? Is it worth it to bring it to an authorized dealer for repair or would it probably be cheaper to just get a new one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 9 year old son was playing Wii through my 1910 about a month ago during a thunderstorm and after a close hit the AVR would not pass an HDMI signal anymore and I could not access the onscreen menu, even after resetting. Although it was 2 1/2 years old at the time I remembered I had bought it with American Express and I filed a warranty extension claim form online and they credited my acount within 7 days for the amount of the original purchase. You may want to check how you purchased the receiver as Visa/MC may have the same warranty extension.

I just bought a AVR-2113ci from EE and should have it delivered in a few days.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Do you get any sound even with the display being out? If you don't, I would suggest taking the cover off and see if there is any visible damage like burned resistors capacitors, etc. If it is still under warranty I would contact Denon. Also, your surge protector should have some type of guaranteed protection! When it fails they are supposed to cover the damages. Lastly, I wouldn't bother trying to pay someone to repair it unless it is a Denon authorized dealer/repair, but I'm pretty sure it will probably be cheaper to buy a new AVR.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Resetting the microprocessor did not help. I'm not getting any sound so I guess I'll try taking the cover off when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I opened it up and could not find any blown fuses or anything that looked burned. I was actually amazed how good and clean it looked in there (no dust, etc). There is good chance it still under warranty so I now need to fine the receipt.

Unfortunately, I just discovered my Denon 2809 must have also been hit. Everything appears to work except for 3 HDMI inputs. The 4th HDMI input works fine but the first 3 do not. I tested this by plugging my Blu-Ray into each port and only the 4th input shows any picture/sound.

This seemed odd to me so I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong or missing some settings, etc. Anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear All,

A short question. I have a Denon AVR-1910 (8 yrs old) with a startup problem. The Startup relay keep "clicking" and the Denon is not powering up.
Input voltage is 220V (steady).

What can cause this problem? I was thinking about old capacitors on the power board.......or does anyone else have an other idea or can be the problem in another PCB/part of the amplifier

Hope anyone can help or have the electrical schematic for this unit.

Thanks a lot for your help
Jan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts