AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my G11 for about 6 months inside a hush box with an exhaust fan. There have been no problems.

Yesterday I noticed that the side of the case where the fans are is so hot that you can barely hold your hand to it. At a guess I would say it may be 50'C.

Is this too hot or normal? Am I asking for trouble down the road?

NAD

·
Registered
707 Posts
Your projector is definitely running too hot if it is at 50 Celsius (approximately 122 degrees Fahrenheit). Many individuals are running their projectors in hushboxes at approximately 85 degrees. It sounds like you do not have enough airflow through the hushbox to eliminate the heat from the exhaust side of the projector. Prolonged use at elevated temperatures could potentially damage the panels in the projector.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've been wondering about this, too (how to know if the hushbox on my D-ILA was cool enough.) I thought the worst that could happen was that the projector would turn itself off if it got too hot. This happened to me several times before I got the fan arrangement to its current configuration. Can the projector be too hot, but it doesn't turn itself off?

How hot is too hot?

- Dave

·
Registered
533 Posts
To get an idea of the temperature feel, I got a large cup of water to 50 degrees C. True, one cannot immerse one's hand for long. However, I held in my hand an NEC 150 projector, right after it had been in operation for about one hour and let me tell you, one side of it was absolutely burning. It was at least 50 degrees C.

I have not seen any threads about the NEC 150 running hot. So I wonder, if the DILAs run cooler than 50 degrees C, what is the big deal? I am obviously missing something here, since the heat problem with the DILAs is probably measured at the outer skin of the unit. Has anyone measured the temperature at the outer skin of other projectors on the side where the bulb is located?

Just checking.

------------------

cai

·
Registered
611 Posts
If I run a G-15 in open air (70 degrees, clean filter) and measure the air right at the main outlet, it is in the 120s F. Always has been. If you put you hand at this point, then it would seem that your findings are reasonable. I have never had a shutdown on heat. I suppose the 15 would run slight hotter than an 11. I would find 85 degrees at the outlet incredible. Vince

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the conclusion is that the corner of the case where the exhaust fans are, reaching a temperature which is hot enough to touch - barely, is expected. (In truth I never measured the temp, I just guessed it was 50 deg.

My hush box has an AC fan pulling air away directly from the G11 exhaust and into the attic. The inlet is on the other side with sound dampening channels. And lastly the inlet and outlet compartments are seperated so that air is sucked into the box, thru the G11 and then out of the box.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Hummm....

I thought that the G15s ran a bit cooler than the G11s, but maybe I am mistaken.

Any thoughts out there guys???

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ahh yes, heat and noise. All the right reasons to justify that mighty hushbox, whose construction can be a bit of a pain, but whose efficiency is well appreciated.

Dila's heat problem really turn into a trivial event if you run a fan to suck the hot air out of the two exhaust vents and you provide a clean ambient-temperature line into the hushbox. Similarly, the noise problem is overcome well by lining the inside of the box with two or three layers of some type of sound board or another.

This works great. I know that I'm safe in there with any heat issues, and I things are so quiet that it makes for all the difference in this world when you are after that sought after suspension of disbelief which IMO is ruined by any noise distraction.

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659592&a=12715694&f=0

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Cameron,

The G11 and the G15 both use the same lamp.

The G15 has an extra set of polarizers to recoup some

of the light that the G11 throws away. That's where

the G15 gets its extra 500 lumens.

Technically, you're correct - the G11 dissipates that

500 lumens in the projector as heat whereas the G15

sends it out the lens. However, the energy equivalent of

500 lumens won't be noticed.

Greg

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Morbius,

Thanks for the answer. I wonder if anybody has actually done a comparison on the output heat between the two. I am a bit curious.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Assuming that the high limit temp switches in the Gxx are working as they should, the Pj will definitely shut the lamp down before a major meltdown.

Last summer my G11, with 200 hrs. on it, shut down due to what I concluded to be a dirty intake. Air temp inside the house was around 80 degrees. The filter didn't look that dirty, but I cleaned it and it's worked fine since then.

NAD, where did you get your Toyo fan? I've looked at fans at the Depot, but they're all way too loud, IMO.

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris - do you know Frys Electronics? I have a suspicion that you have one in AZ. They seem to carry them in all the stores here in the bay area. I inserted it in the top of a plastic drain pipe I got at a hardware store, and wired it with an X10 relay, which I control with my denon (atkis)programable remote.

When your G11 shut down, was it in open air at 80 deg F, or in a hush box?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.