AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation, I'm about to move cross country to start a new job. I'm moving w/o furniture, most electronics and many belongings. Just going to keep the bare minimum and start fresh in my new location. My move will be a combination of driving in my sedan and shipping the stuff I want to keep that doesn't fit (clothes, books, dishes, etc.).

I'm debating what to do about my stereo system. I like the sound a lot, but I will be buying an HDTV, game system, and have no trouble upgrading other components as well. In fact, it might be good to do just that. That would be fun, although no sense getting rid of stuff that still works fine or has value. I don't like throwing away money or equipment.

That said, I have limited space for packing in my car on my cross country drive, and shipping some components can get pricey. Pricey enough that replacement is more than viable.

Here's what I currently have, almost all of it was bought between 1993 and 1995:

-2 Paradigm Atoms serving as stereo fronts

-2 Paradigm Minis that can serve as rears (currently disconnected), purchased off eBay

-H/K AVR-15, solid, but very limited feature-set, only supports Dolby Pro-Logic

-Magnavox 5-disc CD changer, not all that great

My initial thought is to sell the H/K and Magnavox (for peanuts on CL), ship the speakers, then get a proper A/V receiver (lowest price with HDMI switching). Then I started thinking if the H/K would be useful as a delaying tactic if I get busy, good for a spare room, etc. So, what would you do with the electronics?

And then what about the speakers? Have they advanced a lot? Shipping the speakers could be $20-$40, and they weren't too pricey to begin with... I like the sound, but was thinking of getting something bigger n' badder, shifting the Atoms to rears, or something else.

Thanks in advance for your thought and input.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd definitely keep the paradigms. The Atoms and Minis are still current models and both are really nice bookshelf speakers. I'm sure they have changed a few things in them over the years but if you like the sound you're going to pay a lot more than just $20-$40 to replace them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Personally I would sell all of it on Craigslist/Ebay. Straight DD is huge improvement over ProLogic, and you'll be glad you sold the HK and made that upgrade.

I think the Titans are noticeably better than the Atoms and if you've got the money to upgrade you'll probably notice the difference between the two. If you've got more money to burn, jump up a few rungs in Paradigm and you'll really notice the difference. I've got a pair of Titans, Monitors and Studios and it is a big jump going from one model line to the next. Try to get 5 identical speakers if you can.

Are the "Minis" Mini-Monitors? If so I'd keep those.

To answer you specific q, I would say that speakers haven't advanced that much, but coming from the Atoms you've got alot of room for improvement for not much money.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both are extremely old. Atoms are a decade old. Bought them in '96.

Minis are likely not monitors. I picked them up in 2004 for $70 on ebay. Tag fell off so I'm not sure how to check it.

I'd like to upgrade the speakers, but not sure I want to budget that since I like the sound. If I see something used I might be opportunistic about it.

I just changed my method of moving to an ABF upack, so I might take my stuff with me and upgrade when I have time. The immediate pressure is off so it seems to make sense to take it.

And yes, I'm definitely going to trade out the HK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts