Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I have been searching the sight and think that my hard drive has gone out in my 5040... but wanted to ask you all what you think. Here is what I am experiencing:

I have my 5040 hooked up to my wireless network thru the ethernet port. I am controlling a Samsung TS-160 DirectTv stb with the RPTV's IR blaster and I'm connecting the TS-160 to the 5040 via S video.

I have had the problem of live skipping for the past few months... I'd leave the unit on all day and it'd eventually skip. I'd power it off briefly... turn it back on and presto... fixed. Well, now it is more "terminal" I think. Two nights ago I came home and started watching live TV. After 1/2 hour or so the picture started to stutter... then it just flat out froze. I would change the channel and it'd be OK. 45 minutes later it froze again. I missed this weeks "24" because the unit didn't record it... instead I came home to a blue screen stating it didn't have a signal... but low and behold I powered it off and back on and it worked (as a side note I did have to unplug the unit to get the power shut off one of these times). I called RPTV and tech support said to turn the power off and unplug everything for 1-2 hrs. Of course I did it to passify them, but it didn't work. So I keep having my unit freeze up... and eventually I get a "signal not available" blue screen. Tech support said if the "power off" didn't work I'd need to set it back to factory default... but I'm guessing this isn't the issue.

Since this is my first unit and I've only had it for about 3 months I'm still learning about what all I can do to tweak it. I have read posts on the costant reboot problem, stuttering, etc... I am kinda computer savy but a bit nervous about opening the unit up. I guess I'm hoping you guys can tell me what my problem is... and what the best fix is. If I need to install a new HD in it I'll do it in a heartbeat. I purchased the lifetime subscription so I don't really want to end up using this as a door stop.

Thank you everyone in advance for your vast knowledge, support and guidance! :)

Jerry

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Chances are better than 50/50 it is a defective drive. There is no way I know to be absolutely certain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, get anything you want off of it ASAP. I was getting similar behavior. Pulled the drive and ran a Maxtor full recertification diagnostic which it PASSED. Next day same behavior. Yanked it again. Drive failed diagnostic. Too bad you can't sue the diag for malpractice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.