AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Based on the above floorplan, would my HT room be considered large or small? The actual HT area is only about 12x15x8=1440ft^3, but since it opens to the entire basement it becomes more like 5600ft^3.

What detrimental effects does the opening have on overall sound quality? For example less bass because of a bigger area to pressurize, no reflection of sound waves where the right wall would usually be, etc?

I am in the research phase currently, looking to upgrade my speakers (from a Definitive Tech 1000 package) in the next few months, so any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Looking at your picture.........to the right of the TV and the front spkrs..........

Is that stub wall going to be sticking out......If so it's going to be a little difficult area to work with. IMO.

Looks a little bit like taking the doors off of a big walk in closet and placing your three fronts back inside.

My first thought was to reverse the L-shaped sofa with the equipment or pull the front three spkrs out away from the rear wall several feet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Espo, I went downstairs and took a few pictures of the area:

The wall that sticks out was put there by the builders. There are not any columns within the wall from what I remember, so it could probably be taken down since it is not load bearing.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Your viewing area is small but it opens up into a much larger area (the library/reading area). I would consider the total space to be pretty large, but the fact that the open end doesn't extend the entire depth of the room does help some.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtobuy /forum/post/15569627

Espo, I went downstairs and took a few pictures of the area:

The wall that sticks out was put there by the builders. There are not any columns within the wall from what I remember, so it could probably be taken down since it is not load bearing.

First of all, that is beautiful! Don't mess with the stub wall. It's just such a pretty finished job. When I first posted, I was thinking that the system looked a little too far back into or behind the stub wall, and that it might effect the overall sound. But now that I see the pics...... I would just pull the fronts out as much as possible into the room and work on "toe-in" to get the best sound stage.

If this was my set up this is what I would be thinking about: 5 item short list:

1. Room treatments......bass traps in a couple of the corners and a couple of absorbers on the walls.

2. Moving sub-woofer around for best bass response.

3. "The new rack dilemma", we all go through trying to make it all come together. The center as well as the left and right speakers sound better when at ear level when seated.

4. You don't have much choice for placement of the surrounds........

see www.dolby.com click on "speaker set up guidlines"

5. Don't put anything else in there! It looks too cool like it is ....simple and clean. The green carpet is nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts