AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

About 7-8 months ago I purchased my first projector, a refurbished Optoma GT720. I've been extremely pleased with it and had no issues whatsoever until now.

Completely out of the blue, a large gray washed-out area appeared on roughly in the center of my screen a few days ago. Thinking that it was my LAMP that was dying, I promptly ordered a replacement lamp on Amazon only to find that it did not solve my problem. In fact, after I replaced the bulb, over the course of 15 minutes I watched as this grey/dim area expanded to 2-3 times its original size rendering everything completely unwatchable. I can't tell if this is some sort of dust blob, or if something more serious is happening on the inside.

I've attached a picture I drafted up to help illustrate my problem.

Any idea whats going on? Any help greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

Upon further examination I've noticed that there seems to be some sort of "dew" on the inner lens (or whatever It's called). I'm not sure how moisture could have gotten in there, but it could possibly explain my problem..

Also, the picture is now so dim that I can barely see it when the projector is only 2 feet from the wall. I can also look directly into the lens without it hurting my eyes. It seems to be getting worse every time I turn it on.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Maybe not dying, but it definitely has an expensive problem. IMHO, these GT720's are crap and don't last very long. Most people, including me, ended up with dozen's of white spots all over the screen (I had mine less than 3 months), something about a bad DMD chip and stuck mirrors. I'm out $650 since it was a refurb off Ebay. Unfortunately I never bought the Square Trade warranty, otherwise I would have gotten my money back as I doubt they would fix this problem. I never heard of your issue, but I imagine if it didn't have the issue you're experiencing, it'll eventually have issues with the pixels like I had. I gave mine to e-waste.

On a side note, I tried the GT750E and I didn't like it. 3D and overall, the GT720 was much better. The only thing "good" about the GT750E was that it has HDMI 1.4, but big deal, I never use my 3D BD's any more, but I do use 3D Vision, which the GT750E isn't compatible with. It supposedly works with 3DTV Play, but you have to pay for that add-on. IDK, it was more of a hassle trying to get 3D working with the GT750E than the GT720 so I sent it back to Amazon.

Today I just pulled the trigger on a BenQ W710ST. I've only read one instance of pixel issues with this one (user review on ProjectorCentral), but other than that, other reviews have been more positive (via NewEgg). If this one also has an issue, I'll definitely write off DLP projectors going forward, or at least write off these sub-$1000 DLP projectors.

Here's the number for out of warranty repairs from Optoma: 888-942-2929

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yesterday I had a very similar issue to the thread starters. Now however, it has morphed from the “grey spot” you see above to this:

the bulb isn’t the problem. But it could be the color wheel for all I know. a picture of my color wheel:

I smell burning plastic every time I turn it on. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Burnt plastic is lens. You have to buy new lens. I had same issue. Other than that one problem not another in almost four years. Bulb hasnt even went out and I have over 3000 hours on it. I love this projector.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not only bulb life is short, but color wheels.

That's why I am waiting for LED projectors technology to get better.

With a LED projector no worries about bulb life and color wheels.

I know the lumens is not just there yet, but LG is coming out with a 1,000 lumens finally 1080P projector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts