AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 50" Panasonic (50PX50U) on sale at a local store that had a rebate. There is a 30 day price protection plan which should make make me elegible for any price drop that happens in the coming week(s).

So not only do I get the new pricing but, also the rebate. Am I missing something?

Also, the local store was pushing the 5 year extended warranty VERY HARD. It was $849. The way I looked at it is that the extended warranty would end up costing about 23% of the cost of the TV in todays dollars. In two years, it would represent 50% of the tv's replacement cost. Do I really want to repair a two year old TV or for 50% more own a new, current model set if something catastrophic should happen.

As far as lightning strikes and the like, I would expect to use my Home Owners Insurance.

I know most of this has been spread in several threads but, given the cost and five to six years of waiting, it's worth a reality check.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I never buy extended warranty. They wouldn't sell it if they didn't make a ton of money off it. Maost of the time they push it so hard that I tell them if they don't stop they've lost the sale. If anything is wrong with a product it will fail fairly quickly and still be under the manufacture's warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used the same plan with the 42" panny - going in next week to get my price match + 10% after the price drop. Not sure how they will deal with the rebate, however, but I will argue it should not be counted. The other question is whether the price match compares the new MSRP to the old MSRP ($500 back), or to the old sale price before rebate (~$250). We'll see.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked about the price drop and was told that the current pricing reflected any price drop that they where aware of at the time. Atter pushing further, I was told the rebate was a manufacturer offer and would not be included on a price match in the "unlikely event" the price dropped further.

I'll wait and see what happens on or near Aug 28.

-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry guys, but that rebate is going to be included in the price match. If the price doesn't drop below what you paid minus rebate you're not getting it.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit
I just picked up a 50" Panasonic (50PX50U) on sale at a local store that had a rebate. There is a 30 day price protection plan which should make make me elegible for any price drop that happens in the coming week(s).

So not only do I get the new pricing but, also the rebate. Am I missing something?

Also, the local store was pushing the 5 year extended warranty VERY HARD. It was $849. The way I looked at it is that the extended warranty would end up costing about 23% of the cost of the TV in todays dollars. In two years, it would represent 50% of the tv's replacement cost. Do I really want to repair a two year old TV or for 50% more own a new, current model set if something catastrophic should happen.
$849 for a 5-year extended is WAY too much money! That warranty is actually 4-years and takes effect after the 1-year factory warranty expires.

You'd be much better off getting a refund on that $849 warranty and buy a RepairMaster RMT45000 warranty from TVA for $289 instead. It takes effect after the manufacturer warranty expires and covers you for an additional 4 years, only it's about 1/3rd the cost.

·
Registered
314 Posts
$849 is WAY TOO MUCH money. If you actually purchased the warranty, go back to the store and tell them you want to return the warranty. The $849 price you paid may suddenly become very negotiable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BIGshorty79

I expect that whatever the difference is between my receipt and the new price will be returned. My receipt does not reflect the rebate, only the 10% discount being offered this week.

I'll post an update once the price drop is in effect.

RandyWalters, RickGr4

Concerning the extended warranty, I did not purchase it. I will however, look at the RepairMaster RMT45000 warranty from TVA for $289

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Slightly off topic: regarding extended warranties, I usually never buy them. However, I just bought a new truck, and the dealer made me an extented warranty offer that I coudn't refuse. Basically, I paid $1600 to extend the manufacturer's 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty to 6 years. In the event that I never need to use the extended warranty, they will refund the money. Considering it doesn't take much these days to rack up $1600 in auto repair bills, seemed like a can't-lose situation. I'm not sure how they make money doing this, but the dealer has been in business for over 40 years and has a great local reputation.

-Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In general, my feeling on extended warranties for electronics is that at 10% of the cost over three years, it is an easy "yes" decision. Anything approaching 25% and five years begins to make less sense to me.

At five years old, for me, history has shown prices drop so much the product can be replaced at 3-5 years for 25% of the original price with a far better product.

If the CC 5 year warranty was less than $300, I would have bought it without question. At $849, I don't think the value is there.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb
Slightly off topic: regarding extended warranties, I usually never buy them. However, I just bought a new truck, and the dealer made me an extented warranty offer that I coudn't refuse. Basically, I paid $1600 to extend the manufacturer's 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty to 6 years.
But if you could get the same coverage from a different company for $525 instead of $1600 would you still go for the $1600 plan? That's my point here.

BTW there is an "Extended Warranty Worth It?" thread already going on . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
You get two years of warranty if you purchased with a credit card. Check the terms for each card. I believe that if something is going to go wrong, it will likely happen within the first year.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBuzz
You get two years of warranty if you purchased with a credit card. Check the terms for each card.
That's what i did with my Visa Platinum card on my recent plasma purchase. But i'll probably still chicken out and buy the $189 TVA warranty as it works out to only $6 per month :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
That's what i did with my Visa Platinum card on my recent plasma purchase. But i'll probably still chicken out and buy the $189 TVA warranty as it works out to only $6 per month :)

Yea, 189 isn't too bad. But I figure that if I buy something that is garbage, it will not last for 2 years regardless. I have bought items that did fail, but they were either DOA or only made it a few days.

Man, those insurance companies are really raking it in. I bet they are relying on the fact that most things fail under standard warrantly. Maybe I should sell consumer insurance, you give me money and I dont have to do anything :) .

The credit card companies have pretty nice terms as they will pay for repair or replacement with an equivalent piece of equipment. That's good enough for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.