AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Was watching a movie the other night and it just stopped, leaving me with a frozen screen. From that point on the player (Panny RP-82) would not play anything (DVD, DVD-A, CD). You put a disc in and you can hear the player try and do something briefly for 2-3 times, then a bunch of dots show up in the display window and then it either says "no disc" or it sometimes shows an H02 error code, then "stop".

I tried a reset according to the manual, also left it unplugged over night and tried again. No luck, same problem.

This is a bummer. The player has roughly 30 hours on it! I managed to find one last August. But even when new, I got the H02 error once, however that time it reset just fine. I also noticed that the unit took a long time between track changes and was a bit noisy moving between tracks, with DVD-A discs only (but someone said that was normal).

Recently, I have noticed with certain CD's, especially ones with lots of tracks, that a specified track change would take 5-6 seconds before the track would begin playing. Everything was fine if I allowed the CD to play straight through uninterrupted, but any random track selection would take a long time to begin (as if the player couldn't find that track).

Also, I have noticed that the unit's tracking has seemed noisier recently.

I had a Panny model 110 that died early and now this. Is there a known issue with Panasonic's lasers or optical pickup assembly?

The Panasonic warranty is only 90 days for labor. The kicker is the parts are free but the labor is ridiculous, so the warranty is a scam and essentially worthless after 90 days. Panasonic wants a flat rate of 90 bucks plus shipping both ways. A local shop wants 50-100 dollars for labor, depending on what they find-yeah right, it will be 100 I'm sure.

Is this worth fixing or am I going to get another 30 hours and poof!?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hi Redchiro,

Yes there were issues with the optical pickups. I actaully have two RP-82 at my house and they are doing fine. When I gotten my first one, it obtained a H02 error once and then that was it, but I took no chances and exchanged it(witin the 30 days), then after that, it never happened again.

It's unforutnate to hear that your unit has failed due to the optical pickup failure. I suggest you to go to the Panasonic Service Center and let them repair it. I'm not quite so sure it's 90 dollars because I only paid $70.67 total for labor for my repair for my RP-56.

I'm lucky because the technician (a lady - Doris) who worked on my unit didn't charge me for the parts. The parts replaced were the optical pickup and spindle motor assembly which would of been $100 dollars extra. I guess because I kept my unit it very good condition and it still had the center fold on top of it! =)

The RP-56 has been in very good service for me for over two years. Problems actaully developed a year ago after the warrenty expired as the optical pickup went bad but I didn't want to repair it to tried to hold on and glad I'm glad the unit did. It resisted to give up me an because the unit just kept on trying until it finally read - only twice it gave me no play message but that's after from a minute of trying otherwise it would read around 1/2 minute of trying. Also noted the door stopped twice during ejection for no apparent reason. Therefore I'm glad I sent my unit for repair so basically my unit is brand new again with the two new primary mechanical parts replaced.

Maybe you can negociate with them and ask them to replace the spindle(say it had issues like mine) motor too besides the optical pickup and call yours new again too.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
864 Posts
Can you just replace the entire DVD drive transport?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean by your defination of the transport but I'm assuming it's the motor which moves the tray. The spindle motor assembly is the part which moves the tray as well. The rest of the assembly could be replaced but motor was the issue since the motor for it just cutted out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
(Begin Rant) What gets me is that so many people have had this problem. What kind of QA does Panasonic do that allowed such a POS out the door. My CP72 died about 1 year and 1 week from date of purchase, hence completely out of warranty. If this were a car, there would have been a recall, even years after the warranty expires.

And to top it off, if you have an extended warranty, Panasonic will replace it with one of their crappy units.

I've had a CD player last me nearly 20 years, yet they can't get a DVD player to last 20 weeks. sheesh.

(End rant)

I wouldn't bother. Just get a new player from someone other than Panasonic.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think the parts from the Panasonic Service Center might be improved parts because I noticed when my RP-56 was repaired, it acted a lot more responsive in speed as I heard the pickup moving a lot quicker than the one it had before. Overall the repair made the unit more rubust than when I gotten the unit for the first time.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sango
I'm not quite sure what you mean by your defination of the transport
the entire DVD drive (i.e. PC IDE drive)

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have two dead RP-56's. What is to keep someone from replacing the entire drive with one designed for a PC? Would it be a matter of rewiring or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh I understand you now. Well the spindle motor assembly essential is the heart of the drive system.

The other mechanical parts(non-motor) for the drive system could replaced if necessary but we got to find the part numbers for them.

I don't think you can get new PC board fo the dvd... could be costly!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just found this thread as my RP82 just came down with the H02 error code.

You may be interested to know that I found a way to fix the problem.

With the lid off, power up the unit and insert a dvd. Hit play, and then give the stalled dvd a little nudge.

When I did this, it started spinning, the RP82 read the dvd properly and no more error code!

I have no idea how long it will keep working, so far it's only been two days... but hey, it works! Of course you won't want to do this if you're still under warranty.

Just be careful and sensible while you're inside the powered up unit. I will not be held responsible for any electrocutions or fried RP82's!!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hi Metabolic,

I do recall that this method was brought up before and it is a temporary solution. Repair it will be the real solution so a user doesn't have to repeatedly snudge the DVD as you mentioned above.

Hope this help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.