AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby daughter hit it with a drum stick and cracked screen:eek:

I have no picture, Samsung 60" about 2yes old.

Was told plasma had leaked out and entire screen needed replaced ???

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well considering you can buy a 60" Samsung 5300 for $600 - $700..depends on the model and how much it would be to fix.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
If you have a home owners policy it will probably cover the damage, but when you file the claim be sure to describe it as an accident. If you or a member of your household damages something intentionally, such as using your TV screen as a drum, it will not be covered.

Ian

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalcomfort  /t/1524958/is-my-plasma-worth-fixing/0_60#post_24546806

Baby daughter hit it with a drum stick and cracked screen:eek: I have no picture, Samsung 60" about 2 years old.

Well plasma doesn't "leak out" when the panel gets broken, but yes the whole panel would need to be replaced (along with any circuit boards that may have gotten fried when the panel was compromised or turned on after the panel got broken), and the price of parts and labor to do this usually costs more than the price of a whole new TV - even if a replacement panel and boards are still available (not likely).

In other words, time to buy a new TV - and maybe a plexiglass screen shield if you're going to let a baby hold drumsticks in the same room that your TV is in

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1524958/is-my-plasma-worth-fixing/0_100#post_24547944

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalcomfort  /t/1524958/is-my-plasma-worth-fixing/0_60#post_24546806

Baby daughter hit it with a drum stick and cracked screen:eek: I have no picture, Samsung 60" about 2 years old.

Well plasma doesn't "leak out" when the panel gets broken, but yes the whole panel would need to be replaced (along with any circuit boards that may have gotten fried when the panel was compromised or turned on after the panel got broken), and the price of parts and labor to do this usually costs more than the price of a whole new TV - even if a replacement panel and boards are still available (not likely).

In other words, time to buy a new TV - and maybe a plexiglass screen shield if you're going to let a baby hold drumsticks in the same room that your TV is in
I hate to burst your plasma bubble, but I think LCD flat panel displays are less fragile. If you plan on bringing reckless youngsters in the room with you, you should know that you can't have fragile items in the room. You have to decide. Do you want a high-quality picture, knowing that it could still get broken again? Or would you rather at least have a TV which you don't have to worry as much about these kinds of accidents? Now I wish the price of OLED flat panels would come down so you could get the best of everything--black level, color, maximum brightness, and ruggedness! As for me, I just wouldn't allow any wild, hyper, out-of-control, reckless individuals in the room with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts