AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an Onkyo TX-NR1007 and seem to have a problem that I'm pretty sure isn't normal.

Basically if I use any of the sound modes/DSP/whatever I get a noticeable amount of (trying to describe this best) "dead" fuzz. Basically the sound when you turn up a receiver REALLY loud and your amplifying nothing and you get that soft "pffffff" kind of noise coming from your speakers. There has to be a real term for that.

Anyhow with the reciever set at 0db output it is quite noticeable. If you are playing a movie and there is no sound in the movie at that point you can clearly hear it. Also if you switch the receiver to another unhooked input, put it on any of the sound modes it will also make the same noise with nothing being inputted.

The ONLY time this doesn't happen is with the receiver either in "direct" mode or "pure audio" (on any input). So I'm guessing there is a bad ground or something in the DSP chip or something like that is adding this noise. Again with all that BS turned off (which I'd like to use) there is no audible extra noise.

So if someone with an Onkyo could verify this, that would be great. I wouldn't think a steady but light output of noise would be normal.

I tried to explain that as best as I could. Maybe the term is considered ground noise, or hum?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one?..

I just need someone with an Onkyo to tell me this doesn't happen to them, or just confirm my suspicions. I'd like to send for a replacement today, and I'm pretty sure it's not me and it's defective.

I'd REALLY appreciate the input from a knowledgeable person.

Regards

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee91 /forum/post/19553002

Basically if I use any of the sound modes/DSP/whatever I get a noticeable amount of (trying to describe this best) "dead" fuzz. Basically the sound when you turn up a receiver REALLY loud and your amplifying nothing and you get that soft "pffffff" kind of noise coming from your speakers. There has to be a real term for that.

Just turned my receiver up to 0db, there IS "dead fuzz" as you described it, but it is EXTREMELY quiet. I'm ten feet from my speakers with medium-low ambient noise--a few computer fans and outside someone several hundred yards away is using a leaf blower and it was barely (or entirely) unnoticeable at that distance. After I walked up and put my ear directly to one of the towers I could hear it--but even then, it was remarkably faint.

If yours is loud enough to be bothersome, I'd talk to Onkyo.

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for trying that out for me!

For me I sit roughly 12 feet away and I can hear it at that distance clearly, with no need to get up to the speaker (I'm being a bit anal, but it doesn't seem to be normal).

Anyone else wanna second this (probably not needed, but would be appreciated)?

I'm going to call A4L and hopefully they work with me. My OLD Sony ES receiver never exhibited this, so I can't see it being acceptable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talked to A4L and they seem more than willing to work with me.

However it is surprising how they "knock" on Onkyo products. He said it may be normal, and that the build of them amp wise isn't up to par with Marantz, Denon, or even my 10 yr old Sony ES....Strange...Even more strange they sell a product there more than willing to talk badly about.

I'm going to go audition one at the store and see. He recommended this, even though I don't think it's needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like someone is trying to upsell you. Admittedly, I've only owned a few Onkyo products--but every one I have owned has been superb (though I do have some gremlins to work out, I think those are my computer's fault.)

I have an 805--rather old, but I bought it for $200 almost a year ago (a steal, I know!) I don't "abuse" it, but I do run 4ohm speakers (it's THXUltra certified, after all) even though it technically isn't "suggested" and have yet to encounter ANY problems (knock on wood.)

Good enough for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts