AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first apologize for my ignorance. I am totally new to the audio video scene and for the most part have no idea what i am talking about

I purchased this receiver a year and a half ago am i am just now getting around to buying the speakers for it. I found a Definitive Tech setup (2 - BP2006TL towers, 1 - C/L/R2300 center channel, 2 - BP2X surrounds) on Craigslist for a good price and will be going to check them out tonight. I just want to ensure that my receiver is adequate enough to push these speakers. Here are the quick spec for the receiver:

Quote:
D/A Converter: 24bit / 192kHz

Digital Sound Processor (DSP): Yes.

Surround System Class: 7.2 channel.

Response Bandwidth: 5 - 100000 Hz.

Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 106 dB.

Input Impedance: 47 KOhm.

Input Sensitivity: 200 mV.

Amplifier Output Details: 100 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08 % - 7 channel(s) ( Surround ).

Additional Features Multi-room audio output, Bi-Amplifying, Audyssey DSX, On-screen display, THX Ultra2 certified, Sirius satellite radio ready, Audyssey MultEQ, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Auto sound calibration

Specs for the BP2006TL towers:

Quote:
Frequency Response :19 Hz - 30 kHz

Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs

Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :20 - 250 watts

Internal Amplifier Power :250 watts

A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :Large; Full Bandwidth

Power Requirements :110 volts Alternating Current (US) | 220 volts Alternating Current (International)

Inputs :One set of five way binding posts; One LFE input (optional)

Specs for the C/L/R2300 center channel:

Quote:
Driver Complement :One cast basket 8" subwoofer; Two cast basket 4-1/2" bass/midrange drivers; One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter

Frequency Response :21 Hz - 30 kHz

Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohm outputs

Sensitivity :91 dB

Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :20 - 250 watts

A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :Large; Full Bandwidth

Inputs :One pair of five way binding posts; One full range low level input

Power Requirements :110 volts Alternatring Current (US) | 220 volts Alternating Current (International)

Fuse :1.25 Amp 250V Slo Blo

Internal Amplifier Power :150 watts

Specs for the BP2X surrounds:

Quote:
Dimensions | (Metric) :9-3/16" W x 5-15/16" D x 14-1/2" H | 23.3 x 15.1 x 36.8 cm

Driver Complement :Two 1 inch aluminum dome tweeters; Two 5-1/4 inch high definition bass-midrange drivers

Frequency Response :45 Hz - 30 kHz

Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohm outputs

Sensitivity :90 dB

Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 - 200 watts

A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :80 Hz

Inputs :One set of 5 way binding posts

I also have a set of in-wall polk audio RCi (not sure the the exact model. they came with my house) speakers for the rears. Below are the specs for the RC65i which is what i believe are installed:

Quote:
Overall Frequency Response: 32Hz - 20kHz

Lower -3dB Limit: 60Hz

Upper -3dB Limit: 20kHz

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Recommended Amplifier Power: 20-100 w/channel

Efficiency: 89 dB

I do not currently have a subwoofer. the DT Towers have 8" subs built in which should hold me over for now. Once i get some extra cash i plan on purchasing 2 of them.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Yes, your receiver should work just fine. You'll want to run a digital coax cable from each of the sub preouts on the receiver to each BP2006 LFE input so the receiver recognizes the subs. After running Audyssey, you'll want to set all speakers to SMALL and raise their crossovers to 80hz. Review the Audyssey Setup Guide link in my sig for more details.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JOHNnDENVER, can you please elaborate? I am not exactly sure what you mean.

Every review i have read has glowing praises for these speakers. I know that with the towers having powered subwoofers built-in that i will need to adjust the settings within my receiver to accommodate for that. is this what you were referring to?

EDIT: was the information that jdsmoothie provided was what you were eluding to?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20880525

Yes, your receiver should work just fine. You'll want to run a digital coax cable from each of the sub preouts on the receiver to each BP2006 LFE input so the receiver recognizes the subs. After running Audyssey, you'll want to set all speakers to SMALL and raise their crossovers to 80hz. Review the Audyssey Setup Guide link in my sig for more details.

Thank you very much for this information!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20880525

After running Audyssey, you'll want to set all speakers to SMALL and raise their crossovers to 80hz.

most of the stuff I've read is to set the 2 towers and the Center to Large and the rest to small. Am i setting the Towers to small because i am directly connecting the sub preouts on the receiver to each BP2006 LFE input?

what about the Center which also has a small powered sub in it?

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPimpSlap /forum/post/20880549

JOHNnDENVER, can you please elaborate? I am not exactly sure what you mean.

Every review i have read has glowing praises for these speakers. I know that with the towers having powered subwoofers built-in that i will need to adjust the settings within my receiver to accommodate for that. is this what you were referring to?

EDIT: was the information that jdsmoothie provided was what you were eluding to?

I'll take a shot at that since I've owned speakers with enclosed powered subs - I owned a pair of Infinity Interlude IL50s with a 250 watt sub on each side for 6 years or so. Speakers and subs quite often don't work in the same location very well. Having them integrated can make locating them very difficult. I could never place the speakers where I could get good bass response. When I did the rest of the speakers sounded like crap. Having a dedicated sub means you can place it where it sounds best (room response) and the speakers where they sound best. Too bad the best location for each isn't in the same place - my experience anyway. I now have a pair of Infinity IL40s & IL36c center and use a pair of separate subs and it sounds great for music and movies. The subs are where they need to be - corner loaded - and the speakers where I've determined they sound best - off the wall about 2 1/2'.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPimpSlap /forum/post/20880825

most of the stuff I've read is to set the 2 towers and the Center to Large and the rest to small. Am i setting the Towers to small because i am directly connecting the sub preouts on the receiver to each BP2006 LFE input?

what about the Center which also has a small powered sub in it?

When you're using an Audyssey MultEQ or MultEQ XT based AVR, and expect to use Audyssey, you're going to want to set ALL speakers to SMALL as I indicated in my previous post. Whether you also connect a coax digital cable to the center speaker is your choice. If you choose to leave your L/C/R set to LARGE you won't be able to take advantage of the far more sub filters Audyssey uses over the speaker filters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.