AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally finished setting up my new home theater the way I want it. However, I am worried about my receiver (Yamaha HTR6260). Anytime I see a photo of an entertainment unit, the receiver is always inside. the picture below is the same entertainment unit I have (not my actual setup in the photo)

The receiver in this product photo is inside. The manual says that the receiver should have 30cm of clearance above it. Inside the unit, it has maybe 1 cm above it, 2 cm on each side, and 1cm at most underneath (I had to change the feet since they didn't allow the receiver to fit in the bay).

The back was pretty much closed off, with a hole about 3-4 inches in diameter for cables. I ended up cutting a bigger whole in the back as wide as the receiver and almost as tall, for increased airflow and for access to the back of the receiver.

I adore how the receiver looks in the bay, and it is much cleaner as far as cables and wires go than if it were sitting on top. However, I don't want it to fry in there. So can it survive in there without dying? What else can I do to help keep it cool in there apart from the big hole I cut in the back? Or should I absolutely take it out of there and put it on top (my TV is on the wall)?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Anyway to remove the center drawer and put the Yamaha on the bottom shelf?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Those drawers aren't as tall as they appear. It's only the drawer face that is that big. The actual drawers are not very deep. it would be the same height as where the receiver is now.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Your only other option would be to place an exhaust fan in the back of the unit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There's an entire thread in the DIY section about adding fans to entertainment centers. A lot of helpful information there. Basically, you'll need a hole saw and around $50. in parts and you'll be set.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've already sawed a big hole in the back, which means I probably cannot install a fan there anymore. I'll check out the DIY section though. So without a fan installed, I am assuming that leaving the receiver where it is isn't a good idea?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010 /forum/post/17019887

So without a fan installed, I am assuming that leaving the receiver where it is isn't a good idea?

Not a good idea at all. Worst case scenario is it catches fire. Best case scenario is that you shorten the lifespan of the receiver but operates normally during that lifespan. More likely scenario is that it enters thermal protection mode and shuts down after a period of time.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would definitely not suggest having that little vertical clearance. Most of your heat is going to vent out the top.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 with less than 1" clearance above (it's totally open in the front, back, and on 1 side though) and have never had a problem in several years of ownership. It doesn't even get particularly warm. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned about heat as most of the previous posters seem to be.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
increase the size of the cut you made to the back, if you can cut it completely along the bay area where the entire shelf is open in the rear....that'll increase airflow, then get one of the fans mentioned above to help pull the heat from inside the shelf and keep it flowing. No that's not optimal placement but if it's what you have to work with then work with it by cutting as much restriction away in the rear and increasing airflow inside the area.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe741 /forum/post/17021016

I've been using one of these for 3 months now, works well:

http://buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

http://mysite.verizon.net/jringer3/a...T/IMG_9187.JPG

You have a lot more vertical space than me. I wouldn't have room for such a fane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzhokhar /forum/post/17021202

I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 with less than 1" clearance above (it's totally open in the front, back, and on 1 side though) and have never had a problem in several years of ownership. It doesn't even get particularly warm. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned about heat as most of the previous posters seem to be.

Yours doesn't get that warm, but mine does. I was leaning over it the other day after i turned it off in order to disconnect something, and my sexy chest was touching it, and it was hot enough that I had to stop touching it because it was burning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/17021365

increase the size of the cut you made to the back, if you can cut it completely along the bay area where the entire shelf is open in the rear....that'll increase airflow, then get one of the fans mentioned above to help pull the heat from inside the shelf and keep it flowing. No that's not optimal placement but if it's what you have to work with then work with it by cutting as much restriction away in the rear and increasing airflow inside the area.

I've already cut most of the back away. But I don't have enough space between the top of the unit and the shelf above it.

If I had the woodworking tools, I would cut a good chunk off the top shelf over the receiver since the shelf is about 2-3 inches thick. I'd need a router or something. But even then, there wouldn't be that much space still. I guess I will have to suck it up and move it up top again.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010 /forum/post/17021674

You have a lot more vertical space than me. I wouldn't have room for such a fane.

Yah, I have about 2" but do you see how that fan works? It blows out the sides or front and back depending on orientation not the top. These fans were originally intended to keep hard drives cool.

Edit: Oops, your right with the rubber feet I added this thing requires 1.8 cm.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe741 /forum/post/17022146

Yah, I have about 2" but do you see how that fan works? It blows out the sides or front and back depending on orientation not the top. These fans were originally intended to keep hard drives cool.

Edit: Oops, your right with the rubber feet I added this thing requires 1.8 cm.

Well, until I can figure out if I can install a fan in the back of the unit after cutting a chunk of it away, The receiver is sitting on top of the entertainment center. It's not so bad, I guess. It fels a lot cooler to the touch. I just need to replace the flat HDMI cables I have ,which aren't very flexible, with some normal rounded ones and I think it will be good to go.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Try this, open up the receiver and see if you can place a fan on the inside of the receiver. A silent, plastic, PC fan will work. You can run the cable out the vent holes in the rear and splice it onto one of those multi-voltage adapters. Just cut off the round plug on the adapter and cut off the computer connector on the fan. Splice them together and plug it in. Find out which way it is running to verify you have the polarity correct.

You can also connect it to the outside back of the avr. Some thin zip ties should do the trick.

I used some shrink wrap over the splices to make it look pretty.

So basically, I took this:

Noctua 80mm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608006

and one of these:

9-13VAC/800mA AC-to-AC Adapter

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049687

and a couple of these:

6" Heat-Shrink Tubing (12-Pack)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104090

To create a fan with a built in voltage adjustment. You can take two fans and splice them both to the same power adapter.

Set it up to pull the heat out of the back of the case (if mounted on the outside) or blow the heat out of the back of the case (if mounted on the inside). They will be silent and move lots of air.

I also used a ceiling fan hole cutter (attached to my drill) to cut a 118 mm hole in my entertainment center directly under my avr. I then mounted a 120mm Natua fan with its own voltage control splice job. I have it blowing up into the bottom of the avr, which has vents in the bottom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts