AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Onkyo TX-SV828THX receiver from around 1997. There are a few quirky things going on with the receiver. This is only a 2.1 system. All equipment is plugged into 1 surge protector.

1. When I do a cold start with the reciever, there is a high amount of crackling coming from the front speakers, that isnt in the source material. The only way to stop this, is to crank the gain up all the way, and listen to the speakers for a few minutes, the crackling stops. I can even turn off the speakers switch (so that no sound comes from the speakers) and crank the gain up on the reciever all the way, wait for about 2 minutes, turn down the gain, turn the speaker switch on, and no crackling is to be heard. So this is one problem. Tried different speakers, same thing. All connections are using spade plugs and 16 guage cables.

2. Sometimes, for no apprent reason the subwoofer starts a low continuous rumble, ignoring the LFE information completely. If I turn off the reciever, and turn it on again, the rumbling goes away and starts acting normally.

3. Sometimes when I try the internal test tones of the reciever, it says "Error DSP" in the main panel, and the test tones crackle from both the speakers at the same time, while it shows that its only sending a signal to the left speaker. since its only a 2.1 system, I never use any DSPs anyway, I always leave it on bypass mode. I dont listen to the system at a super high volume either.

Any ideas about whats going on?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
some sort of processor failure due to components going bad.... could be something as simple as a blown capacitor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think dirt / dust can cause problems. So I would try to spray some good pc wash cleaner, be careful not to spray the case. As spray can damage the finish. You must also do this with the power off / caps drained, plug ac cord then turn on to drain caps voltage.

Hope this help, if not something died in it:eek:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hummmm time to upgrade the receiver which is now 7 years old

·
Registered
454 Posts
Does yours have a volume knob? Or is it electronic? If its a mechanical knob, try turning the volume all the way up and down a bunch (with the receiver off). See if that helps.

My 10 year old Onkyo (pro logic) just died last week. The display died a few months ago, and the main receiver went out with a HUMMMmmmmmm. last week.. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by disneyjoe7
You must also do this with the power off / caps drained, plug ac cord then turn on to drain caps voltage.
Hi,

Is this plug AC Cord or Unplug AC Cord?

Thanks,

Maziar

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by disneyjoe7
I think dirt / dust can cause problems. So I would try to spray some good pc wash cleaner, be careful not to spray the case. As spray can damage the finish. You must also do this with the power off / caps drained, plug ac cord then turn on to drain caps voltage.

Hope this help, if not something died in it:eek:
wow! i am taken aback that you guys actually answered in this thread! I completely forgot about it. Anyway, thanks so much for the advice. HOw do you mean I should clean? open up the reciever and try to clear out the dust on the inside? what does "caps drained" mean?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bholio
Does yours have a volume knob? Or is it electronic? If its a mechanical knob, try turning the volume all the way up and down a bunch (with the receiver off). See if that helps.

My 10 year old Onkyo (pro logic) just died last week. The display died a few months ago, and the main receiver went out with a HUMMMmmmmmm. last week.. :(
well, it does have a huge volume knob, that I can turn at the unit itself or from the remote. If I turn it from the remote, the mechanical knob moves too. Turning the volume all the way up and leaving it like that for 1 minute does clear up the static. it works everytime. I dont even have to engage the speakers. The only new problem is the wierd signals its sending the sub/test tone stuff. I'd like to get a new reciever to drive the klipsch like a 3803, but I hope this continues to work as i can still use it with some bose speakers in a bedroom...

·
Registered
55 Posts
The caps are the power supply filters used in the receiver. These will still hold a charge if just unplugged the AC so it's best to unplug then turn on. Or you can leave the receiver on then pull AC cord, what ever works is OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.