AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 Replay 4xxx boxes and am a faithful, devoted user. Each has had to have the hard drive replaced at least once.

But the latest one has been giving me an ominous blinking no matter what so maybe you can tell me if there are any user serviceable parts inside I can try and fix to correct it.

When this one started blinking about two months ago, I automatically wrote LizardBoy and, even though he was unpacking from a move, he sent me a new hard drive. But I still got blinking. The HD was pretty old so I asked if he was sure he sent the right one but he said he tested it in advance and it was okay and I have bought almost all of the other replacement drives from him so if he says it works, it works.

I swapped out the ribbon cable. Still nothing. I don't have a desktop machine so I can't take a look at the drives myself (the original drive may be fine since the replacement didn't help either) so rather than throw this in the can i am wondering if anyone has ideas what other user serviceable parts could be going bad?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankcampbell /forum/post/12909886

I have 3 Replay 4xxx boxes and am a faithful, devoted user. Each has had to have the hard drive replaced at least once.

But the latest one has been giving me an ominous blinking no matter what so maybe you can tell me if there are any user serviceable parts inside I can try and fix to correct it.

When this one started blinking about two months ago, I automatically wrote LizardBoy and, even though he was unpacking from a move, he sent me a new hard drive. But I still got blinking. The HD was pretty old so I asked if he was sure he sent the right one but he said he tested it in advance and it was okay and I have bought almost all of the other replacement drives from him so if he says it works, it works.

I swapped out the ribbon cable. Still nothing. I don't have a desktop machine so I can't take a look at the drives myself (the original drive may be fine since the replacement didn't help either) so rather than throw this in the can i am wondering if anyone has ideas what other user serviceable parts could be going bad?

You'll want to ensure the hard drive spins up when the power cord is plugged in. If it doesn't, the power supply is probably defective. You can also remove the network card from the motherboard, then try to boot it. If none of this helped, the drive, IDE ribbon or motherboard should be the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts