Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im a total newb when it comes to front projectors. My dad has been into them but he still has an old crt low res projector.

I was thinking of getting one for my room, especially the Sanyo Z2 which seems like a great unit. I was looking at the sony s20 but it seems not to be worth the extra 1000.00 (please let me know if im wrong)

My room is only 11.5 feet by 10 feet. pretty small but can i use a front projection unit in this room?

-What would be the maximum size I could achieve ( I will be projecting onto the 11.5 foot wall. My sitting position is about 2 feet from the wall)

-what screen size would you recomend (as big as possible without seeing pixels)

-Is there a particular projector that is better for smaller rooms?

Also, I do alot of gaming (xbox, PS2) how would games look on a projector? Will it be close to that of a crt?

last question. How would the Sanyo Z2 or equally good projector compare to a RPTV LCD. I have seen the sony grand wegas and found the picture excellent except for the black levels. Are the black levels better on front projected units.

Sorry for all the question, but i would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you do a lot of gaming I would consider a 4:3 projector. I use my projector 60% for video games (xbox and gamecube) so it makes sense to go 4:3. Some people say that this is silly since everything is going widescreen but theres a lot of 4:3 material out there. Also, you should check out DLP. DLP XGAs have gone done in price a lot and you can get something pretty bright for less then the Z2. I have a PB 7200 in a dorm room and I get a 100" diag image from 12 1/2 feet.

Two feet from the wall? You'd need a super high resolution projector not to see any pixals, that being said you should lean towards DLP which have a less pronounched pixal structure. Games like Xbox look great on the PJ and you will have no complants.

Will you be only using it for video games?

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a fairly small room - approx 13x10. At first I tried a 80x45 inch widescreen projection. Sitting about 10 feet from the screen in a fairly narrow room, 80" just felt way to overwhelming.

I now have it setup so its more like 65" wide, and it seems much more bearable. I would recommend not buying a screen until you try out projecting various sizes on the wall and find the one that feels good at your seating distance.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-----Two feet from the wall? You'd need a super high resolution projectornot to see any pixals, that being said you should lean towards DLP which have a less pronounched pixal structure. Games like Xbox look great on the PJ and you will have no complants.

Will you be only using it for video games?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By 2 feet, I mean instead of 11.5 feet I'll be sitting 9.5 feet from the screen. Also I plan on watching alot of DVD movies and SD signals through my Direct TV hooked up through s-video.

How will my SD signals look projected? I am going to see huge loss in quality from my current 27" trinitron (I know its a big jump, but bigger is better right?)

DLP is not good for me as I always see rainbows. My friend has the Samsung RPTV DLP and I find the rainbows distracting. I might learn to live with them, but then again I don't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My HT room is a converted loft measuring 14ft by 8ft. I have a Panny L300U front projector and a 7ft screen, leaving just enough space for a pair of speakers on either side.

The sofa is 10ft from the screen and I do not see any screendoor effect at that distance

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sonick182
Ive hooked up my dreamcast using VGA (480p), to my Infocus X1, it looks GREAT. Like a computer monitor, but at 100" instead of 17"/
Heheheh.... you're Old school!!!! Dreamcast was ahead of it's time with it's native VGA output. Stunning games via VGA.... by comparison PS2, GC & XBox are positively anemic.

To answer the original posters question... how do video games look?

Well, other than the defunct dreamcast... even with progressive scan output they look marginal to ok on a projector. After the "oh wow it's big" wears off... you may do as I did and go back to a tube. I am very picky about motion artifacts and resolution so your perceptions will vary.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by conan48
How will my SD signals look projected? I am going to see huge loss in quality from my current 27" trinitron (I know its a big jump, but bigger is better right?)
Bigger is just bigger... not necessarily better. SD signals that looks like crap on a 27" will took like crap on a 97". Garbage in, garbage out.

I personally use a 32" tube for virtually all viewing other than DVD (or HD which I don't have). The "wow it's big" effect will last for awhile and even longer if you aren't fussy about picture quality.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am using a 100'' diagonal 4'X3' screen, viewing from 12 feet, and just love the quality of X-box (480p) everything just looks smoother to me. I am using an X1, and notice no SDE at that distance too, but of course it's a DLP.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've tried gaming on my Z2, with UT2003 from an HTPC, DVI link.

The panoramic effect needs adaptation, I couldn't see clearly what was going on because the picture was much bigger than I'm used to.

But I found the picture quality too bad. In UT2003, the picture moves and changes very fast, and because of the LCD technology, everything looks blurry. Not directly blurry when you look at it, but sort of washed out during motion. And the screen was too high (I mean, too far from the floor, so I must look up). I prefer gaming on my 19" CRT.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Conan - I'm in the same boat - 10x12 room. My eyes will be about 9.5' from screen. Depending on the amount of rear clearance required by various PJs for cooling, I'll have about 10' of throw distance (allowing 1' for rear-exhaust units and .5' for side exhaust (need room for rear cable connections)).

I just plugged those variables into the Projection Calculator at www.projectorcentral.com and played with the results. The Sanyo-Z2, for example, is said to have a good PQ from 1.6x screen width (per the reviews at PJCentral), so I figure I can't go much bigger than 70" wide and stay in the good zone. But that may be all the wider I'd want so I don't feel like I'm watching a tennis match from the sideline. That still gives a 81" diag screen in 16:9 format!

·
Registered
108 Posts
the rule of thumb is approximately 2X the width and you will lose all the "flaws" from sitting too close... so for you... 9' of viewing will leave you to about 48x36 for 4:3 material... that is still a 60" screen... more than 4X your TV... that is more for the SVGA setups... the XGA pj's can do as close as 1.5X the width... so 9' would put you up at about 72x54, so maybe a 90" screen could work... best bet is to stick to higher res and plan on lower size screen... brightness of the smaller screens will come in handy... close than those multipliers lead to screendoor and other issues...

SD signal from cable is VERY blurry, but satellite SD is much better... DVD is unbelievable even on the SVGA setups... it will be WAY better than your 27"...

also you say you are saying that you see rainbows on the DLP rear projections?? if what you are seeing is truly rainbows, then you are in that 1% of the 1% of the 1%... because the lengths that a $3500 TV has gone to by speeding color wheel and other tricks have all but eliminated rainbows... I know how to make myself see them on my X1, but I can't see them on the Samsung DLP setups - no matter how hard I try...

hope this helps...

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.

I don't think I would need a screen bigger then 80 diagnal. That seems plenty big for me.

I play lots of games and I'm worred that the Z2 will not look good with my xbox. Are lcd projecters prone to motion blur. One person said that when playing through there PC they noticed alot of blur. Games usually move much faster then movies or TV, and Im worried that alot of games will be much to blury to play. Will a crt be that much better for gaming. What if I made my screen smaller? would it be less blured?

Also, another question I had which i havn't really found a good answer for is the black level on lcd sets. I've only seen RPTV lcd like the grand wega and I love the picture, but the blacks and the detail in dark scenes really SUCK. Do the front lcd projectors have better blacks than the RPTVs?

I've never seen a front projected LCD picture ( I've looked but none of the stores around me seem to carry them) but how would you compare the picture of a FPLCD vs. RPLCD better, worse, same.

thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
well, there are just too many variables... to answer this straight... if you have a dark room, then the blacks will be really good... if there is some ambient light, then you'll need a grey screen and the blacks will be good... if you have a lot of light in the room... give it up... go with a rear projection or tube and be happy... the Sony 40" or 34" widescreen would probably do much better... a big bit of advice is go ahead and order a setup DVD like Digital Video Essentials... they explain all the setup information you'll need - for both projection and CRT... they help you adjust black levels, brightness, color balance, etc.... and everything comes with a thorough explanation...

LCDs are inherently slower in response than CRTs, the technology used in rear projection is identical to front projection... if you notice lately that all LCD ads are bragging their "response time" or named something similar... but it is that lag, or as you call it blur, that you don't want...

don't lose hope... but it does sound like you room might be a bit small, your requirements a bit high... there is some definite limitations to front projection... as soon as all your friends come over to see it - in come the negatives (otherwise labeled jealousy) - questions like -- aren't bulbs expensive?? you can't watch it with lights on?? people are gonna walk in front of it?? fan noise?? -- just tell them to shut up, sit down... here's your damn popcorn... and you owe me the $20 you would have blown going to the theater... :)

it's late where I am... off to bed...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.