AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my home theater setup after weeks of research. So far I have the energy take classic 5.0 speaker system and a Yamaha RX-V365 receiver (can't complain since I bought it for 60 bucks new). I was originally going to buy a BIC F12 sub but I was running very low on funds thanks to all the textbooks I had to buy this semester. I ended up buying a Dayton SUB-80 subwoofer from audioholics.com. At first I had to physically play with the subwoofer cable I bought from monoprice because it was very inconsistent (from a very loud hum to no sound at all). I was not happy with the sound when it did worked and I thought it was because the cable was defective...so today I bought a overpriced monster subwoofer cable and hooked it up. The sound is now consistent but again I am not happy at all. This is my first real subwoofer but I have owned 3 logitech computer speaker systems with a subwoofer, one of them costing me 30 bucks and they all had a way better subwoofer. Hell, even my M-audio AV 40s can handle bass better than the sub. I know sound is subjective but for example, the subwoofer sounds alright at around -25 db but once I start raising the volume to around -15 db, I can hear it rattle and its not impressive at all. With my 30 dollar logitech system, I would blast music and the tiny subwoofer would handle it perfectly fine. I have tried playing with the crossover settings and settings on the receiver but it just sounds horrible no matter what I do. Do you think the subwoofer is defective? I want to return it either way and get a better sub but I want to know if its defective before I start the return process.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Defective sub? No.

Cheap sub? Yes.

What was it you were listening to when the sub started to rattle? A movie with a lot of deep bass? To be honest, a movie with deep bass is more of a test for a sub than music. And to be even more honest, an 8", 80 watt "sub" doesn't even qualify as a sub in most people's books. Not in mine anyway.

So how can you get the best out of what you've got? Where do you have the sub located? In a corner? In the middle of a wall? For something that small, you want to give it as much help as you can. Move it as close to your seating postion as possible to have it operate in the near field. That way you won't have to turn the volume up as much and keep it from rattling. A corner close to you would be good, but that can result in uneven response. You can try the bass crawl (Put the sub in your listening position and play something with good bass. Crawl around the room on your hands and knees until you find the spot where the bass is smoothest, not necessarily loudest. Put the sub in that spot.). Hopefully you can find a spot in the near field where it sounds good. Or buy a bigger/better sub.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.